Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help with my flag!!! >

I need help with my flag!!!

I need help with my flag!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM

I made a flag quilt about 5 years ago using pre-cut pieces from a kit. I was okay with the way it came out considering it was only going to be on my porch. I took it down the other day to wash it and all the red bled throughout all the white/beige of the lighter stripe. when I saw all the red, I did not dry it in the dryer because I really didn't want to set in the red dye. Any thoughts on how to get the white/beige stripes to lose the pink hue they now have? I thought I might rewash it using several color catchers and see how that worked. another thought was to use a solution of bleach/water and a small toothbrush and go over just the beige stripes - even if they come out white, that would be a vast improvement. I've posted a before picture and an after. I don't know if the pink color on the beiges show up too well but it is really prominent when I look at it. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks!!

After washing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205526[/ATTACH]

When first made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205527[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205520.jpe   attachment-205521.jpe  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

If the color on my screen is more or less true, the white/beige/cream does not look very pink to me at all.

I think I'm noticing more the apparent loss of color in some of the reds and the blue.

I would avoid using bleach (Clorox, Hilex, any of those) like the plague.

Maybe just wash it again with color catchers.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM

those bleach pens i hear work well. I would wash in retayn or synthope and a bunch of color catchers afterward. but I am probably wrong on the re washing.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM

It does looked washed of color. but then it does not "new"
its still wonderful. :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm not saying this to make you feel better, but I honestly like the washed one better. It looks antique. It's not streaky, right? Just red tinted? I say fly it with pride!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I'm not saying this to make you feel better, but I honestly like the washed one better. It looks antique. It's not streaky, right? Just red tinted? I say fly it with pride!
Thanks so much. I, too prefer the vintage look of it - but there are streaks of dark pink running through the lighter stripe - it just didn't show in the picture. I do have some retayne and also color catchers. I may just try to rewash it and live with the results.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

if you put some synthropol in the water and re-wash the fugitive dyes should come out-
it is a detergent that keeps fugitive dyes from getting on other fabrics in the wash water---color catchers may catch any more bleeding- but i don't think they will help remove what is already there- for that you need the synthropol.
good luck---
and hopefully lesson learned-
ALWAYS PREWASH OR AT LEAST COLOR TEST ALL REDS!!! THE ALWAYS BLEED
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much. I, too prefer the vintage look of it - but there are streaks of dark pink running through the lighter stripe - it just didn't show in the picture. I do have some retayne and also color catchers. I may just try to rewash it and live with the results.

RETAYNE WILL SET THE DYE! IT KEEPS IT FROM RUNNING- DOES NOT FIX WHAT ALREADY HAS RUN- AND IF YOU USE IT NOW- IT WILL SET YOUR PINK--THE PINK SHOULD BE REMOVED BEFORE USING RETAYNE
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM

I'd try a color catcher. Have heard some folks say that it removed the "pink" that had faded on white fabric.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Oh I am so sorry this happened to you. If you use bleach you must use something to stop the action. One example is the chemical you put in fish tanks. Otherwise the bleach keeps deteriorating your fabric.