Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice >

Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice

Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice

Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Hi all, I am just refreshing and updating my quilting skills and have decided to hunt around for a good home quilting frame setup. My budget is under $2500 or so.

I am strongly considering the HandiQuilter II plus a Juki TL98Q and a Quilter's Cruise Control.

I would appreciate advice and feedback from anyone with this setup or a similar one.

Thanks!
Janet
Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM

About a month ago, we purchased a Juki 98qe and Little Gracie II frame with the Grace Sure Stitch (similar to the QCC), and I love it. I've quilted three quilts on it so far, and am constantly looking for excuses to use it. We paid $1700 including shipping, and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market for one.
I can't really help you with the HandiQuilter, as I have no experience with them.
I have a friend who has the QCC and loves it.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM

I don't have a quilting frame, so can't help you there. Just wanted to tell you welcome from Southern California!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Thankyou both, for the welcome and advice!

Justquiltin', how do you like the Juki? Do you feel limited by the throat size?

Regards,
Janet
Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Janet,
I'd have to be a better quilter to feel limited by the throat size. Any limits currently are operator-based. :roll:
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Good! I have another question....how is the comfort level of using your setup...is it hard to manipulate the machine? Do you sit or stand?

Regards,
Janet
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I stand. It is amazingly easy to manipulate.
Edited to apologize for the brevity of the post. I started posting and realized what time it was! (Had to hurry to get supper on!)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 AM

I have a Hinterberg frame and a Viking Mega Quilter machine. I get along fine w/both but have never done a quilt larger than twin on it. I did quite a bit of research between it and the Gracie but since I have to take down the frame occasionally (when the DD's family comes - 4 boys) I like the Hinterberg for that reason. It is set up to be used sitting but I prefer to stand up - just feel I have more control and am more over the quilt that way. Of course I am also very height challenged compared to avg person!! I am able to quilt for quite a long time before taking a break so I would have to say it is comfortable for me to use.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Can't help you with your choice of quilting frames, I haven't learned to use mine yet lol, but welcome from the Texas Panhandle
Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Hi Janet, I just discovered your message on my blog. I love my HQ2 frame and my Juki. I do feel somewhat limited by the machine throat size. But it is so much nicer than trying to stuff and maneuver your quilt through a regular machine. I started out with the separately purchased Handi Handles on the back side of the machine, but recently bought a front mount conversion frame for them. You can see a photo on their website: http://www.handihandles.com/index.html

If you would like to, send me a pm and I'll give you my email address. Or we can continue to share here so everyone else can read about it too.