Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Just got a "Hobbico Craft Iron" from a member of this board, and I LOVE IT!!!! Kat
I just bought a Hobbico for my DH, for when he needs to iron the formica edging on countertops. I love that his has a temperature gauge, so you would know exactly what temp you are using & could then set it exactly to your liking for future projects. I bought him this one so he didn't use my good iron & get adhesive on it! I may need to get a little one for me too. :-D

Hobbico iron w temp dial - from hobby store
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211244[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211238.png  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM

My Rowenta leaked like a sieve, drove me nuts. The Shark had a short auto turn off so I was forever having to get it to turn on before I used it. Hated it. Both were expensive items. Just paid $4 at Goodwill for a lightwieght Black and Decker and I love it so much I will cry if it quits working!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

I had same problem with my Rowenta. I now have a SHARK and love it.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 AM

I got one at Walmart for LESS than $7.00 and I love it. It's light weight, steams well when I want that and when it quits I won't be out a ton of money. I love it!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 AM

Jumping in here late and admitting that I have not read all the responses so if this is a repeat of anything I apologize. But first, I use both a Rowenta and A EuroPro. Both are steam. Have had both for 6 plus years and never a problem. I think one reason many folks may have issues with their steam irons is not using the correct water - as odd as that may sound. I know Rowentas make ones each for use with tap water and for distilled water. I specifically made a point to buy the one for use with tap water and have never had an issue with it leaking. Maybe some flaky build up periodically then the manufacturer's directions are to fill with tap water and just hold the steam button until the iron is empty and free of flakes. Usually only takes one cycle. My EuroPro requires distilled water. Again, no issues with leaking and never any water flakes. Don't know about other brands but it might be something to look at if anyone is having leaking issues and you still have your instructions. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM

I have a shark and love it
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM

I have two Rowenta irons and they both leak. I thought one was finished, but decided to clean it and it helped. I guess I'm just going to have to clean them a lot. I can live with that, but it is frustrating to get the thing to come back on after it automatically shuts off. I wish I could find one that did not shut off.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Numa
Happy Birthday tomorrow to both of us! I have a Rowenta steam generator and I love it.
I have the Rowenta steam generator and love it also. But, then the water is in the reservor and not in my iron. Doesn't steam unless I press the button. I also have a $6 one from Wal Mart that I use when I'm away from my generator and it works just dandy. I don't use it for steam tho. I usually spray with mixture of liquid Sta Flo starch & water. I bought a Rowenta years ago and returned it because of dripping. I've had my steam generator about 10 years.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM

I have an Oliso. It leaks. I am going to email them to see if they can help. I had a Rowenta years ago. I loved it. However, it was dropped several times by someone who did not care. I am looking for my next iron.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM

I have a black & decker and a rowenta. Like my black & decker better.