Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! My sister-in-law wants a modern wall hanging.. >

Help! My sister-in-law wants a modern wall hanging..

Help! My sister-in-law wants a modern wall hanging..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM

do you have any suggestions? She lives in Lancaster Co., PA., so she doesn't want an Amish looking one.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 AM
MTS
Banned

I just had a conversation about this with some of my quilting friends.

We could get into an hours long discussion again of what is a "modern" quilt, but I'll spare us both. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's a link to the Modern Quilt Guild - there are chapters all over the country.
As you can see from the pictures of some of the meetups, the demographics tend to skew younger than many existing guilds.
http://themodernquiltguild.com/

I think it's great that there is new blood in the quilting world.

Victoria in NYC created the Bumble Beans site, and I think she facilitates the NYC MQG meetings.
Her very cool blog is here:
http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/

Many new books have some out recently, including http://cherryhousequilts.bigcartel.c...ct/city-quilts.

You can see that "modern" runs the gamut from using crumbs to squares on a white background.
Sometimes I don't find them all that different from traditional quilts, and sometimes I'm, like, meh.

Sometimes it's all solids, and other times it's using a collection from one of the name designers -
Denyse Schmidt, Amy Butler, Mary something, Anna something other.

Here's what comes up on a Google search for images of a "modern quilt."
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...lUKyw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1272&bih=602&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Sorry for the long url - you can't use tinyurl on this board.
I think I stretched the board.

And I'll bet a lot of the initial push was because someone from the Quilt Police
told them what they were doing wasn't perfect or didn't qualify as a quilt because.....a,b,c.

And we've all seen it happen at guild meetings in some form or another.
And it's no surprise that the participants are younger, and might be coming from a different place.
But that's really irrelevant.

I would take a look around, find something that YOU feel like making, choose colors she'll want in her house and then proceed from there.
Maybe present her with 3 to choose from (if you want to be really, really nice ;-) ).

The WORST thing is to try to make something that doesn't interest you at all, either in fabric or technique.
Because then it's just torture to finish.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Something in batiks with no florals in a rather geometric pattern. Something like the Outside the Box quilts.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Tell her to do it herself!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Take your basic knowledge..think out the box..buy graph paper and design your own..it's what I do all the time..it's very rewarding..when I was a newbie..I thought I had to go by the book..then I saw..Mary Ellen Hopkins..she was my liberater..design..refine it..sandwhich it..quilt it and it is a quilt !!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 AM

I like Sunflower Girls answer.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

MTS has given some really great info and links.

By modern .... she may want an old-fashioned with more modern fabrics? Or perhaps something abstract? Or bargello? or or or .......... the possibilities are endless!!!!

Best to start by asking her to define "modern". And perhaps better still, ask her to provide pictures/patterns for you.

Sure enough, if you make an assumption, you will be wrong!!!

...................... and as already said, it may be "safer" to say, I don't do modern, and let her do it herself! Will she appreciate what you do? or as my SIL would be, it would never be right or good enough for her! :)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Check out the moda recipies, they may have something. It is had to define modern. I would have to see the style she likes. It may be bold lines and colors ,or maybe she means just modern fabrics. I seen a book at the library I think it may have been called city quilts it had some "modern" quilts. Some looked very easy yet were also abstract and modern.

Oh and what about some of the BQ patterns?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it's a OBW. 4PP, SAW ??
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

You might want to look at Convergence quilts by Ricky Timms. They actually go together pretty quickly. I used batiks in mine and it looks very contemporary and clean.