Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from eastern Iowa >

Hello from eastern Iowa

Hello from eastern Iowa

Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
I'm not sure if there is flooding in the are around Lincoln, Omaha and Crete, NE, but there might be I know there is a lot of flooding along the Missouri River in SD and Iowa. I have a brother that lives in Ohio that is not sure whether they will be able to get to the reunion because they have to pass over 2 bridges over the Missouri to get to NE. Hopefully the river will go below flood stage by then. I know my brother in SD didn't mention any flooding where they live, but there is considerable flooding by the river and in the lower levels. You just never know where it will happen. About 5 years ago we had TWO 100 year flooding in Litchfield, NH right in a row. The first flooding took out a bridge in my neighborhood and the next year it took out the bridge lower down on the brook. It was unbelievable the amount of land that was swept away when the bridge went. But two 100-year floods in two years was unheard of. Take care, I've got to get back to pin basting that quilt.
I just looked at the weather channel and the flooding right now is North Dakota. Where I live now everytime it rains a lot the Cuyahoga River overflows the banks and it closes some roads but that's down in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I live on the upside of the Valley and about 7 miles from there. It seems when it rains it pours and for a short time. I guess if you live near water you have to be careful. I don't remember that in Lichfield. About a month ago we had a microburst (a tornado that didn't touch ground) that uprooted trees. One fell on a house and a car and then 2 weeks after 2 streets from me a tree fell on a car as it was backing down the driveway. That was because of all the rain we had in May. Get back to the basting. I have to take my mother for another ride. Pat
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ireland
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I gave up on the basting tonight - just had a fight with my other roommate (husband), asked him for help and he gave me a lecture on losing weight. I have severe arthritis in my back, hips, knees and feet which greatly limit my mobility. I need orthotics, but he says I just need to lose weight. Same ole song, but his comments get more and more hurtful - never mind that he seriously needs to lose weight too. But that's my fault he's fat. Sorry, it's been a tough day and nothing really accomplished. I'll take up my friend's suggestion, go up to Litchfield on Saturday, we'll put 2 tables together in the church basement and get the quilt pin basted - then I'll do some serious quilting. I'm not going to do a lot of quilting, just in the ditch along the sashing strips, then some cross-hatching in the blocks and something simple in the border. My girl friend says I work better under pressure - so we'll see if I still can. I can only do what I can do. I'll just pray to the "quilting gods" for a miracle. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Hi Pam and welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 AM

Hello and welcome from Japan!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
I gave up on the basting tonight - just had a fight with my other roommate (husband), asked him for help and he gave me a lecture on losing weight. I have severe arthritis in my back, hips, knees and feet which greatly limit my mobility. I need orthotics, but he says I just need to lose weight. Same ole song, but his comments get more and more hurtful - never mind that he seriously needs to lose weight too. But that's my fault he's fat. Sorry, it's been a tough day and nothing really accomplished. I'll take up my friend's suggestion, go up to Litchfield on Saturday, we'll put 2 tables together in the church basement and get the quilt pin basted - then I'll do some serious quilting. I'm not going to do a lot of quilting, just in the ditch along the sashing strips, then some cross-hatching in the blocks and something simple in the border. My girl friend says I work better under pressure - so we'll see if I still can. I can only do what I can do. I'll just pray to the "quilting gods" for a miracle. Thanks for listening.
I know what you mean about roommates. I moved here with my now X-boyfriend and after 2 years I told him he had to move back to NH. Today I'm babysitting and we've had 1 thunderstorm so far. It's somewhat cooler and tomorrow will be 70. Can't wait I might even take a drive to Lake Erie. Take it easy and go with the girlfriend. Pat
Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM

hello from Michigan
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Wish I could send my husband to live with our daughter in VA, but she doesnt' want him either. I'd divorce him, but we can't afford it and after almost 42 years of being married, there's no point. And my son who lives 3 miles away doesn't want him either. Oh well. He just changed so much when he got laid off, and even when he went back to work after almost 2 years he just gave up. I just wish I could have had a crystal ball and applied for SS disability with my arthritis, but I kept thinking I would get a job. So much for that. Well, it's raining again today and the humidity is so high you could almost cut it with a knife. How old are the kids that you babysit? Just curious. I'd love to be able to babysit our 1 year old granddaughter, but I have so much trouble walking with my arthritis, that I'd be afraid I would fall and hurt her. Take care.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM

I know. I had been with the x for 19 years and it didn't matter. Now I wish I had done it sooner. I love being by myself. It's been 2 years now and there is not even anyone I've seen that I would date. Especially around here. I can't believe that they finally got Whitey Bulger. And he was in Calif. all the 16 years he was on the lam. I babysit my granddaughter and she's 6. Her brother is almost 12 and he stays home in the morning and I go over at 12 but half the time he's gone with his friends. I wouldn't leave him alone but I have my mother that I have to take care of too. And their 3 dogs. I just paid for them to get the back yard fenced in because the dogs are too much for me. A doberman and 2 huskies. It's a little cooler here today and we've had 2 big thunderstorms so far. Take it easy. Pat