Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in trouble now . . . >

I'm in trouble now . . .

I'm in trouble now . . .

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM

I went out for a day on the town. Was meeting my friend in Frankenmuth [her idea], and she got delayed. So what do I do to kill time? Go to garage sales on the way.
Found a Domestic Treadle machine, and was lookin at it, trying to find stuff wrong, and a reason not to buy it. Mind you I was only talkin to myself inside my head, while pokin and peekin at the machine. The lady misunderstood, and kept comming down in price. Finally I had to buy it. I had to open all my car doors, take everything outa the back seat, and put in the trunk. Took two of us to get it in there.
but she is such a sweet thang.
Box fulla assessories, and a little wear to the wood . ..
My hubby will have a fit!!!
Cares to the wind, now, how could it be worse when I come home with a car fulla sewing machine history?
After hooking up with the friend, whose fault it was for the delay that resulted in my having too much time on my hands, and finding this machine, I found a quilt shop. In fact, finding the quilt shop was her fault too, because she kept me waiting outside the drug store, while she ran back in for something, and there it was - a quilt shop hiding on the next street behind the drug store.
So in I go, bought 8 - 1/2yrd pcs for my Sun Bonnet Sue quilt, and found the trapazoid ruler I was looking for . . No, I don't need it now, but if I didn't buy it, I would need it imediately.
Another store, a cotton/wool mill my bad friend forced me into this time [I swear!] found me with 4 bags of remnants and a 3yd mini bolt.
Before leave the scene of many crimes, I called a neighbor and asked if they would be home to help me unload the machine, and would they please hide it at their house until my Hubby goes on his trip in 2 weeks.
So with the cover up all planned, and treats bought to insure the silence of my accomplices, I bid my friend farewell, and headed home.
Almost there, I noticed a new Sal's had popped up in an old town I used to frequent, so I had to stop in. Carried out a giant bag of quilt fabric pieces for $6
Made it home, got My sweet lil Domestic Diva tucked in for the night, with a promise to vist her next Tues when DH goes to work, and a box of chocolate covered caramel corn to my partners in crime.

I now have 2 weeks to decide how to bury the bo . . I mean which machine to sell. My singer Red head would get awfully jealous if she knew. but my hubby would be awfully mad . . .

Yep, I've been a bad girl!

Which machine would you keep?
Domestic or Singer?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226601.jpe  
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Sell, no way!!! Just a growing family!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM

To hard of a decision to make...so, I would keep them both!!!
Hide one of them under a huge dust rag. Just to be sure he knows it's a dust rag place a can of pledge on top. Hubby would probably never go near it. HeHeHe..sneaky I know but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Well... ummm... whatever you decide, you should definitely keep the CAT!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM

I have about 20-25 machine from old to new (15yrs young ) no real new one. I don't think I could part w/one of them. Good Luck go get that pledge can & dust rag.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Keep them both....Maybe make a quilted cover and stick it in a corner and he will never notice...pile it with books, a pot plant.....anything! Mind you this won't work if you are minimalists, but somehow I think you are not:)...Lovely story...makes my purchase earlier this morning of a $25 vintage sewing/hanky box totally piddly by comparison:).
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM

I have a 1943 Domestic. Mine has the crinkle finish. I wouldn't give it up for nothing. Paid $20.00 for mine. The table is being refinished now. Keep all your machines. :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Keep them both.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM

funny story but as I don't have a vintage machine (well my Pfaff is from 1990) I don't have the attachment to one like so many do.

I'm hoping I don't find one that I just love because then I would be in trouble...lol
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM

I vote keep 'em both. Give hubby a big hug and act all excited and say "someone dropped it off outside" :)