My hearts not in it

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 AM

thank you all for your comments. I was not offended by any, you all spoke from your hearts and I deeply appreciate the comments. Some of you hit the nail on the head. Reason it's hard for me to be happy, is that no one in the household can support these children. They have the government. I think this is wrong. I love making quilts for family members. It's expressing my art as well as each quilt I make is filled with love. Only once have I been asked to make a quilt for someones friend who admired the family members quilt. I asked if this person would be purchasing the fabric or should I. This family member wanted me to make it for nothing because this friend was her best friend. I said, your best friend is not mine, nor do I know her. I just don''t make quilts for people I don't know.
Anyway getting back to my niece, the two children she has have both fallen on there heads and have been hospitalized. My sister called me and told me, if you hear from her daughter, that she wanted me to know she had called division of youth and family service.
I don't care how many children my niece has, I care what kind of life they are going to be faced with, and I find it hard to be excited for my niece, when she has trouble raising the 2 she has.
I slept on the comments from all of you and since I am a loving person, I am going to go ahead with a baby quilt..I feel if the other 2 got one, would not be fair the 3 . Thank you all, my head is a lot clearer today
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 AM

I understand why you feel this way. If you decide to make something little, a tag quilt might be fun and easy. The baby would love it since it came from you.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
thank you all for your comments. I was not offended by any, you all spoke from your hearts and I deeply appreciate the comments. Some of you hit the nail on the head. Reason it's hard for me to be happy, is that no one in the household can support these children. They have the government. I think this is wrong. I love making quilts for family members. It's expressing my art as well as each quilt I make is filled with love. Only once have I been asked to make a quilt for someones friend who admired the family members quilt. I asked if this person would be purchasing the fabric or should I. This family member wanted me to make it for nothing because this friend was her best friend. I said, your best friend is not mine, nor do I know her. I just don''t make quilts for people I don't know.
Anyway getting back to my niece, the two children she has have both fallen on there heads and have been hospitalized. My sister called me and told me, if you hear from her daughter, that she wanted me to know she had called division of youth and family service.
I don't care how many children my niece has, I care what kind of life they are going to be faced with, and I find it hard to be excited for my niece, when she has trouble raising the 2 she has.
I slept on the comments from all of you and since I am a loving person, I am going to go ahead with a baby quilt..I feel if the other 2 got one, would not be fair the 3 . Thank you all, my head is a lot clearer today
you know, this is what I love about ya'll on this forum...we can be free to speak our hearts, and be still loved and appreciated for even our differences...I have never found another forum like this one.

I can't remember who asked...but yes, I have worked at my own businesses for all my adult life, while my husband worked in the ministry until a car accident took that away. We haven't used government anything, and paid for all our own expenses. We just felt it was wrong to ask others to pay our expenses.

It seems you have come to a place of peace with what to do, and I support your choice (not that you need my support :wink: )....I am sorry your niece appears to make not such good choices, but maybe this baby will help her get a grip on the things in life that are important.

I wish you well in your quilt endeavor...and thanks for letting me share in your "process" to figure all this out!!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:57 AM

You will be blessed.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Let me add one more thought.....I, too, reached a point where I stopped telling my mother that I was pregnant because she had the worst attitude about it. Her last two grandchildren I didn't even tell her about them until they were born. When one is excited about having another baby (and yes, mine were all born 2 yrs apart...like clockwork), you get tired of having that feeling of how blessed you are poo-pooed upon by others who won't share in your joy. If you aren't rejoicing about another new little life, a blessing beyond words, coming into the world, you might consider not being offended by her not telling you directly.

Look, I don't mean to offend here...but I well remember how it felt to be criticized for my life decisions when I asked for help from no man....not even the government. Maybe, she just loves being a mom, and loves kids...I know I sure do......
Exactly!! I got the same attitude from people(and I only had 5). I really didn't want or expect anything from anyone except their love and support.

Sadly, some people cannot see the joy in welcoming a new life, whether it be the first or not.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Well, well, well. I guess we all have the same family problems. Same thing, just different faces. My nephew just became a grandfather, and sent an email to the family to let us all know that the new parents will need help with this little one and it's our responsibility to help them take care of him. My response to that was, I took care of mine, now it's time for everyone else to take care of theirs...or stop having babies.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Thats a great idea.. and its small...good luck
forgot to add her quote..
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Great idea.. I say the same as leiladylei.

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
If you feel compelled, then go and buy a pre-quilted baby panel and all you have to do is bind it. I think they cost about $10 for a panel here and you can even go with pre-made binding, too. Should probably take two packages of the pre-made binding. It should be a fast project and not much work involved.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I have a large family and I would definitely not expect anything. I never recieved a quilt for any of my children and I am sure she is thrilled with your generosity. Most likely she is also using the quilts you made for her first two children with any consecutive children. Yes, give her some thing small if anything at all. I think that is really nice. Pregnancy makes you feel hormonal and every baby is special so a small acknowledgement of this new little person would be very nice. Our church does only showers for the first baby.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

thank you all, I appreciate your replies. I love to make quilts. Lord knows I have a few on my list to do. It's just that every other 2 years she has a baby, which I never hear about till the babies just about due or the baby is born. I did not even know about this one till I read it myself and just found out yesterday that it might be twins this time. I saw pictures of the 2 children she has, and saw the baby blanket I made the little boy being used as a dog pad
Instead of a quilt as a gift buy an outfit or a music box that could be used for the baby. I would be unhappy if I saw one of my quilts used as a dog bed, unless I had made it for the dog.