My hearts not in it

Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 AM

Gifts are to come from the heart, not obligation. I would just go on and since no one has told you, thats the way it is. Oh, well if you had told me I would have made a quilt like I did for the others, but you never told me...I know that I may be in the minority, but sometimes you have to just do the tough love thing and it sounds like it's time. Just my ho. Good luck with whatever you choose do do!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Are very capable money wise? If it`s no problem, then you can make almost any choice you want. You will not be sorry. Of all the suggestions here, I may go for a small gift (Bib) home made, and a gift certificate for a big boy or girl quilt later. We had 5 babies, and the last one had some well worn items. She didn`t know it at the time. But later on we could have used a new blanket for her. By the time they are in school, they may have a favorite item they like.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 AM

My thought is that if the quilt is for the baby... what till the baby is old enough to love it and keep it for him/herself. Maybe 10 or so years old. Then it doesn't matter what the 'mom' does.

I totally understand the not having family you talk to. It is weird because when I was growing up my one aunt was very close with our family, and now that she has her own family we never hear from her or anything. I think sometimes it is important for us to be the bigger people, but it can be so darn hard...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 AM

If I got something it wouldn't be anything related to quilting; made or bought. She didn't feel it a necessity to tell you she was pregnant so why should you feel obligated to do as you've done in the past. If anyone says anything you can just say if you'd "told" me sooner I maybe would have had time to make one and leave it at that. The same goes for your sister since she also didn't feel obligated to tell you; you shouldn't feel obligated either.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
Gifts are to come from the heart, not obligation. I would just go on and since no one has told you, thats the way it is. Oh, well if you had told me I would have made a quilt like I did for the others, but you never told me...I know that I may be in the minority, but sometimes you have to just do the tough love thing and it sounds like it's time. Just my ho. Good luck with whatever you choose do do!
You aren't in the minority here; I totally agree with you. Obligation can only go so far and it should go both ways. Not only did her niece not tell her niether did her sister. I wouldn't worry about it. I know people that say well but they are family; well as family it is even more important to let others know what's going on.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I can relate! I only hear from my nieces when they think they deserve presents. I can't get excited when they choose to have babies out of wedlock. I just feel bad for the babies as I know the fathers will not be around long.
Third child and still living at home unmarried? I may be a bit too staunch and conservative, but getting excited about this and celebrating poor life planning and lack of responsibility is not great. Why not just get a savings bond for the baby and set an example of living financially responsibly?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 AM

I would have agreed that you could make a quick panel quilt and be done with it, until I read that the dog was using a previous Baby Quilt.

Since the Mom does not use your quilts for the Baby, send a burp cloth and a gift card to Babies R Us for diapers.

Gifts with no guilt.

Susan
Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by marymc
Babies are always gifts from God. This new little one will likely get less in the way of gifts and attention because he is #3. If you can find it in your heart to make him his own special quilt I doubt that you will ever regret it. if you are busy with other things now you could always make something after the birth or as a birthday gift in the future. Try not to allow your feelings for your niece to adversely affect this innocent child.
You took the words right out of my mouth. this little child is no less special than the others were. It deserves to have it's own special quilt to love. My Grandchildren each have their own quilts that I made for them. The 6 year old still uses hers with her dolls. It makes me feel like I've given them a special part of me and enjoy seeing them being used.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM

She can pass down the earlier quilts you made. I'm in the same boat. I have 2 nieces that have made a career out of being pregnant. The youngest (I haven't heard from since she was 5) had gone through some of my quilt pics on FB and picked out a tote she wanted and sent me her baby shower order....right down to the "I don't like those handles, I want my handles made out of the stripe you used in the tote". Well, sister, I am out of the stripe. I didn't send anything to the shower, but after she had the baby I felt guilty and sent her a quilt. Obviously, she didn't like it. No thank you. None of the pics of the baby have a pic with the quilt in the background, and she is uploading hundreds of pics. It's like you have a minute-by-minute timeline of this child growing up. A month later, my half-sister sends me an e-mail that says "thanks". Really???? you are NOT obligated!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 AM

I quilted both my first 2 grands a quilt(had a friend embroider a bible passage,name & year), then when I found out number 3 was on its way, I was super busy. I got a panel did the binding and had a friend embroider on it a bible passage, my name and the year,again. She is 4 now and still has that one and remembers to show me everytime I go over there to see them! The other 2 grands had Dad make them a frame and its on their walls to remind them everyday of Gma.
MY DD's nephew-in-law has the cowboy quilt I made him when he was 4 and he is now 18. He treasures that quilt and tells everyone his aunt's mom made it for me and made me feel special.