My hearts not in it

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I agree...it is for the baby...hopefully the baby will still have it later in life and realize you loved it before it was even around. It might be the nicest thing it has as a memory.....
I heartily agree. As an older child this baby will wonder why he/she didn't deserve a quilt like the older siblings did. Whoever mentioned the premade panel has a good solution for giving even when your heart isn't into it.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It's kind of the pits to be a third or fourth born kid.
Ya... don't I know it...I was # 5....

Seriously.... I can't imagine not wanting to make a quilt for a new little member of the family, what a privilege! I make quilts for donation all the time...and I sure don't know if they're appreciated or not. I say keep the communication/love doors between the family open...and open your heart to any new little ones who happen to "happen" along.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Jim

I understand the mental dilemna...but babies are gifts on their own regardless of the actions of irresponsible adults. I think of this as what if it was my grandchild? I would do anything for them and would hope that friends and or family would think the same. (Don't we all think that EVERYONE thinks our grands are the absolute best?...lol). Seriously, if I didn't feel compelled to make it due to the ingratitude of an adult I would make it anyway just for the baby..nothing else...my grands have probably 6 to 10 each I have 4 grandsons....they will get more before the and of the year...all 4 have birthdays between now and Christmas. We watch them 5 days a week and they all have a stack here as well. They know which ones they sleep with and drag around playing with using them as tents, covers or just to jump on or play tug of war with...giving from the heart is a blessing to the reciever and the giver...don't miss a blessing because someone else has no clue of gratitude.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm sorry, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to remember that the quilt is for the baby. It's not his fault that his mother is rude and irresponsible. How will he feel if he knows that his siblings got a quilt and he didn't. That being said, just pick a very easy pattern that you can complete quickly.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 AM

When niece's DD had her 1st baby,my DD & I made a special trip to buy gifts,another trip for wrapping & cards....plus we each gave her a book,with a few personal lines added to be read to baby.
5mos later, we had yet to receive a Thank You.We finally did, when baby was 7mos old....just a printed card made on computer.
She's now expecting baby number 2 & I wish her all good things,but will save gifts & baby quilts for ppl who have the good manners to say Thanks. JMO
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 AM

I would do a quilt for the baby. but I totally understand your feelings. I would do something simple like a panel.IMHO
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM

I agree with everyone-there are some really cute preprinted panels out there.The baby will be the recipient not the mother.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
My niece is pregnant again. Seems every 2 years or just about she has another baby. She didn't mention it to me, nor did my sister. I found out through her facebook telling her friends "I'm preggers and loving it"
Well I made baby quilts for the 1st 2, but, I told my DH my heart was not into making anymore. What if she continues having kids?? I would have to keep making baby quilts???
Her and her boyfriend both live with my sister, and I only hear from my sister if there is a problem of some kind. Same with my niece.
I don't care how many children they have...but since I made 2, I felt obligated to make another. My DH told me, why not just get something small. Do you think I should just get something small??

ok....maybe I don't understand...but what's wrong with her having a large family? I guess maybe because she's not married? Or is it something else? I am the mother of 10, and loved having every single one of them. Babies, children, are a blessing. Why would you not want to welcome this new little one with a quilt?

I mean if you are just feeling "used" or something, or if you don't feel she appreciates your hard work with the previous quilts you have given her, then don't make her one. Just buy something from the store. But don't communicate to her that this new little one is not welcome in the family....imho
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Let me add one more thought.....I, too, reached a point where I stopped telling my mother that I was pregnant because she had the worst attitude about it. Her last two grandchildren I didn't even tell her about them until they were born. When one is excited about having another baby (and yes, mine were all born 2 yrs apart...like clockwork), you get tired of having that feeling of how blessed you are poo-pooed upon by others who won't share in your joy. If you aren't rejoicing about another new little life, a blessing beyond words, coming into the world, you might consider not being offended by her not telling you directly.

Look, I don't mean to offend here...but I well remember how it felt to be criticized for my life decisions when I asked for help from no man....not even the government. Maybe, she just loves being a mom, and loves kids...I know I sure do......
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Get her birth control pills.