Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 AM

welcome from Colorado :-D

I am a self-taught quilter. I learned from two books that I would highly recommend to anyone starting out.

Both are written by Michael James:The Quiltmaker's Handbook and the Second Quiltmaker's Handbook. Both are pretty old, originally printed in the late 70s and early 80s; however, Michael James is a master and a great teacher.
He starts at the very beginning and progresses through to designing your own original pieces.

He has a website w/ examples of his work and he teaches at U. of Nebraska:http://www.unl.edu/mjames_quilts/

I have seen both books on Amazon for a few dollars used-
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM

This is the place to learn everything you will ever need to learn. Just pick a simple looking pattern from your book, and follow the instructions step by step. And if you hit a rough spot, come here and just ask your question and you will get an answer the second someone reads your post. It's amazing how fast this board is. As for your machine, you don't need a real fancy one, especially to start. Singer is always a good machine. I just got a new Singer Quantuam Syslist 9960 on Ebay. Can't afford the expensive machines, but this was reasonable, so I also got a Singer Serger. Both will take care of my needs for a very long time.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

I haven't read all of the posts here so I may be repeating advice but these are my suggestions for a new quilter.

1) Start with a small project like a wallhanging, a throw, a table runner, or placemats. Do a simple 9 patch to practice your cutting, 1/4 inch seams and matching the corners.

2) Watch some of Eleanor Burns videos to learn her methods of strip piecing and assembly line sewing. I think her website is quiltinaday.com. You can watch her videos for free. You can make 9 patch blocks really quickly and accurately with her methods.

3) Get a 1/4 inch foot. You can get one from Singer or any place that sells sewing machine parts. I quilted for years without one and thought my seams were good. Then I got one and found out how off my seams were.

Classes at quilt shops are nice, but you have to buy their pattern and fabric and it is too expensive for me.

Regarding sewing machines, knowing what I know now I would never get a new machine. I would get an older Singer. They have larger throats for machine quilting and are metal machines and much better made.

If you have any sewing experience, you can make a quilt. Happy quilting!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by f rogers
try Eleanor Burn's books She show each step of the way. that is how I started .still follow some of her books.
I sewed most of my life -- my first quilts were made using Eleanor's Log Cabin book (before rotary cutters). I learned the basics. When I returned to quilting 20+ years later I took a basic class to learn technique.

As a quilting machine the Juki is a good option.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Basically taught myself by doing a tone of research, reading and viewing tutes and acking quilter acquaintances.

Over time, you learn from your mistakes, perfect your strong points and pick up new tricks of the trade, so to speak.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristelwyman
wow, i sure didn't so many quick responses!! thank you!!

i have a very basic sewing machine, and i know that is fine for doing the top part... but i should have said i'm looking to be able to sew the stuffing between the layers, and mine doesn't have enough room, you know?

i have a relative that quilts (but she's in ontario, canada and i live in vancouver, bc half the time, and in seattle, wa the rest of the time)... i told her i want to learn, and she was super discouraging because she said nice quilts are always done by hand. and i'm sure that's true, but it's not the type of quilting i want to do, you know?
Welcome from CA. Classes are always good. I learned from my mother and I was in 4H. I have to disagree with your relative. You just have to look at some of the pictures of the machine quilts on this board to know that what she said is not the truth. Sorry she was discouraging. Stick with this board and you will find all the help and support you need. I have a small machine and I have quilted King and Queen size quilts (SID). I quess some would say that SID is not quilting but then my quilts are not for them. There are no quilt police here. People here and the internet will help you in many ways. Again sorry about the discouragement you received from your relative. BrendaK
Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM

My first ever attempt - I actually hand sewed a king-size quilt top in Grandma's Flower Garden pattern - it had over 4,000 pieces!! This was around 1990. Then my (former) MIL quilted it for me in 1991. I had absolutley no experience with quilting when i did it. Then I never did another quilt until my sister and I started getting together once a year for a "sewing" weekend. We started that around 2000-01...We both did memory quilt,complete with photos. I was very happy with it. Funny about this thread - this was actually going to be the topic of my blog this evening!! Check it out, as I will be posting photos of these 2 items mentioned.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

i did not and could not afford to take classes so i read a lot of books, looked at plenty of videos on the internet and joined this website , i am still learning and enjoying every minute of quilting !!!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 PM

I have to say I think beginners quilting classes are a huge help. I learned in a 6 week series from Sharon Pederson of Reversible Quilt fame. Haven't looked back since. If you have the basics you can pick up info as you go along. Worked for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM

wow, everyone! you guys are all so amazing!!

doowopddbop thank you for all your advice. i'm going to go through your link!