Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
75+ and using computer and quilting >

75+ and using computer and quilting

75+ and using computer and quilting

Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM

I am 77 and have been quilting since I was 4 or 5. Have been using the computer for a long time also. Love e-mails and finding all kinds of quilting patterns on the computer. Also look up things for the farm and garden. I laugh at the "can't teach old dogs new tricks" saying. I am teaching our daughters things all time. We have been married 57 and 1/2 years and still in love. Good for all of you over 75 for the active life you lead. June
Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM

I agree that the older folks can learn new technology etc. And yeah some just don't want to learn and that's ok too. I think those that have the I've always done it this way mindset may also be because they think it's the best way. And maybe for them it is.

All of you ladies, I love that you enjoy your technology along with your quilting. From the younger generation (40 year old).

Originally Posted by gaevren
You know, I've never believed the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" saying. I'm only 34 but all of my grandparents and great-grandparents kept learning and doing until the day they died, and the ones that are still living are still learning and doing! One of my great-grandfathers even got his pilot's license and built a plane...in his 70s! I remember flying with him, it was great!

I think that many older folks (not all of them of course, and I even know younger people who are this way!) are so used to doing things a certain way that they get into the "this is the way I've always done it so I'm not going to learn a new way" mindset. I think also that too many young people just expect that older folks aren't capable or interested in learning new technologies, which is ridiculous!

You rock ladies! :thumbup:
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM

I'm pushing a mere 63 to you ladies however, you inspire me to keep going full speed ahead and see what I can still be doing when I'm your age. You're great role models for the rest of us stuck in a rut.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Just a couple years behind you, but am not about to sit still very long. Enjoy going to quilt shows, quilt retreats etc. plus fabric road trips with friends etc. Belong to two local guilds, state guild and AQS. Will be going to Des Moines AQS show in Sept with two car loads of friends. Do stay home and cook occasionally but when DH retired, taught him to be self sufficient. Told him if I keeled over he would have to know how to do dishes, cook, do laundry, vacuum and clean the bathroom.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I'm 76 and don't know which I enjoy most, quilting or my laptop. BTW, today is my DH & my 58th wedding anniversary.
Happy Anniversary. That's quite an achievement. We will make 43 year in December.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'll be 78 next month, and again I'm asking my kids for either a new Anti virus protection for my computer, a new Glock, or sky diving treat. Or maybe a hot air balloon ride. But most of the time my wildest actions are either trying to cut down that @%$^& Albizzia tree and it's decendenats, or going hiking in Yosemite Valley just a few miles by myself. Since my DH's been gone for over 4 years, friends and family have introduced me to several men...they have all been feeble old coots who can't keep up with me. They all seem to want one of two things. A 22 year old blonde bimbo on one arm, or else they want a life long nurse maid and I could look like I wore a mop on my head and pasted on Mr. Potato head features for all the attention they pay me...

I'm liking my life up to now, and hope it doesn't change that much. Got too much fabric that needs cutting apart and sewed back together and I want to paint the kitchen and.....
I to will be 75 in a few months, also have smith & wesson
have 2 part-time jobs and a sewing business at home I do all of the house work and some of the yard work I share with my DH, never thought of slowing down, do a lot of charity work and I love this site and my computer and spend a lot of time quilting, have finished 7 quilts in the last 2 months. thank you God for all my blessings
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

do you have address or phone number for one of the wireless services
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm 73 and do it all. My sister 85 and does it all also. My grand son sells I phones and of course he got one for me. I love it. I down load Joans coupons on it. No more leaving them at home.LOL
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Good for you Carolyn!! I am 75 too and belong to Silver Sneakers. Having some problems with my neck right now to slowed done on S.S. (been on the computer and quilting too much--hard to lay it down) Oh, well, I love it and intend to just keep going anyway. Where are you from?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Congratulations Ladies!