Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How did you meet your significate other? >

How did you meet your significate other?

How did you meet your significate other?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
mim

I should mention that I put the ad in the personals when I was getting a divorce. I had left an abuser who was stalking -- and had no money. For a while I lived in the car and then found a cheap apt. I was supporting a son in college. Money was so tight that I had to figure how to eat. So I came up with the "brilliant idea" -- date and go out to dinner -- I was terrified of men so it was always 2 cars -- no home address, and the first thing out of my mouth was "I don't go to bed" and no one person sooner than 2 weeks. I dated 3 times a week so I had enough to eat. And kept my son in school.

3 years later, I married one of the men and had a good marriage until he died after 13 years.

Life is an adventure -- Mim
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Meet in high school. Went to football game and the rest is history (48 years).
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM

1967 he came to our ranch to haul hay for us... we were both 17. He was such a good worker that my dad, didn't want to see him go....... so I married him 2 years later! LOL He was the best worker and still is.....42 years married last month.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jollyquilting
I met him at a class dance, when he wanted to take me home I wouldn't get in his car because he hadn't met my folks yet, (I was 14 at the time) I walked home and he drove along an talked to me and made sure I got home safely, LOL I guess i KINDA just picked him up. LOL that was 54 years ago so I guess we are stuck now.
Love this--very sweet.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
MY Dh and I met on www.Match.com.

I know..right?

At the time they had Venus the love cupid who would match up similar profiles. Well when they did that it would send the profile matches to your inbox..I saw his and deleted him. LOL.
But then he started talking to me..and I thought I would respond back...now 10 years later...here we are!
Me, too!! We will be celebrating 5 years of wedded bliss on 8/31/2011. Funny, huh!!

Kathi in PA
Old 08-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Blind date. I was working full time plus (director of a nursing unit); attending classes for my master's degree two nights a week and being a Longaberger Consultant at least once or twice a week. Ran into a friend at work who asked me what I was going to do when I finished my degree. I said, "move to California." She told me she wanted to set me up with a friend. I looked at her like "are you out of your mind. That is the last thing I need!" (I had been divorced for 20 years.) Went out on the date, married 6 months later. We celebrated our 15th anniversary June 1st.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Blind date!!! We've been married 31 years.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 PM

I met my DH at his father's bar; his father introduced us. I was there for lunch with a coworker. I used to go to the bar after work to see a guy I had a crush on, sit and drink Cokes(truly! I still don't like alcohol.) While there, we used to talk. Finally he asked me out. Never went out with anyone else after that and we've been married 37 years last month!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM

My parents and I moved into an apt. in my husbands's home. He lived there with his mother and sister. I was very much interested in him and always tried to time it so that I would leave for work when he would. It never happened, but one day when I was waiting for the bus, he came along and asked if I wanted a ride. I said yes and we were married six months later. We had three daughters and one son and were married almost 52 wonderful years. He passed away two years ago. I miss him very much, but am thankful for the years we had together.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM

When God wants it to happen, he will put you there! I lived in CA, Hubby in MS. His CA Aunt and Uncle went to MS to visit in their new motorhome. When they were leaving, they asked him if he wanted to visit CA for a while as they had room for him in the motorhome. He said yes. When he got here, he needed spending money, his Uncle had a painting business and he was a painter in MS. I was working 6 days a week, owned my own home and didn't have time to date much. Went out Monday morning (only day off) to wash my filthy car, he was waiting for the guy he was working with who had the equipment as they were painting the house next door. He came over to talk to me while he was waiting. We dated 1 month, he went home, we talked for two months on the phone, he settled up his business there, came back, and we were married the next month. Fell in love with me and CA. Says he won't move back, even to retire. Did not know each other that well but felt it was soooo right. Been married 31 years. (2 boys, 2 grandkids)