Anyone canning now?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM

I really don't have a recipe. I use tomatoes, onions, cellantro, and jalapeno peppers, lot of lemon juice, salt and pepper. I just throw it all in my blender and put it in a large kettle, bring it to a boil and simer for about 15 minutes. I usually just taste it to see if it is spicey enough. I love eating salsa with meat skins. I can't have chips so I eat the meat skins. it is great.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM

We find that if you are going to have an early frost or freeze, we pick our green tomatoes and lay them out on papers, and cover them and they ripen slowly. we had fresh tomatoes for Christmas dinner last year.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

I blanch mine first(get your water to boiling and then add beans and when water start to boil again drain and cool quilckly. Mine are always nice and crisp.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM

I canned about 40 quarts of pickles, mostly bread & butter and some dill. I have 4 gallons of refrigerator pickles in our extra frig. I canned some tomatoes but most of my tomatoes I sun-dry on racks on the front porch against a west facing brick wall.

I froze several batches of broccoli, but my green beans did nothing at all this year. They blossomed but did not produce. Must be a lack of bees, although I have had lots of cucumbers.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Green beans check. Tomatoe salsa check. Tomatoe juice check. Grape juice check. Corn check. What else can I get my hands on?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM

We here in Wisconsin seem to be 3 weeks behind last year. First every thing was under water, then we had 3 weeks of cold weather, That stunted every thing, we could not weed the beets and carrots, as the weeds had real strong roots & deep, when you pull them up, up came the veggie. So crop is smaller, All I could do so far is green beans. My peaches are just about ready, made black berry jam, but in the next few weeks I should have pears by the bushel with 3 trees. I`m O.K. with what I got so far, just a little late.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Today I canned 21 quarts of baby gold peaches and have more from our trees. My daughters will hopefully help me get rid of them!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Try freezing some if you have room. And if you're unsure as to what will and what won't freeze, go to your biggest grocery store and look through their freezers. I'll bet you'll be surprised at what will freeze nicely.

And during "The" war, I remember my Grandma canning peaches with one pit included and 5 or 6 whole cloves, because getting hold of sugar to add to it was nearly impossible at that time. She'd add sugar or honey to whatever she made from them during the winter.

Sugar was rationed then. I still have my ration book.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillnjo
Today I canned 21 quarts of baby gold peaches and have more from our trees. My daughters will hopefully help me get rid of them!
Oh to have a peach tree! They are my favorite fresh fruit. I buy a lug, put them in the fridge and eat most of it myself over the course of about 6 weeks! What zone are you in jillnjo to be able to grow them? Our below zero winter days is what halts peach growing here in NE Iowa.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I have a garden full of ripe tomatoes - but no energy to can them is growing there! Where do you think I can get some? :(
Well I found some energy overnight! :) With the help of my MIL I now have about 15 quarts of tomato sauce cooking down on the stove.

Whewwwww that's a long day!