Anyone canning now?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 PM

Do you have a recipe for the pizza sauce or do you do like I do for Spaghetti sauce and just dump and taste???
Originally Posted by BMP
We are done...100 quarts of tomatoes. I may make some pizza sauce with the few we have left.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BabyCakes
Tomatoes. Wash them and put them in my vitamix then can them. No more peeling. 60 qts done
i've heard of ladies making spag. sauce like that. i just juice all mine any more. and use them like tomatoes, or for juice.
yes, i've canned green beans and froze a few. froze a little summer sq. and zucinnit for bread. made a little jam, and froze lots of corn. a few bread and butter pickles also.
michigan's tomatoes weren't good this yr. so doing a few at a time.
my okra was great this yr. so put lots in the freezer.
forgot the 2 bushels of peaches i canned, and the 2 bushels of apples i'm going to make into apple sauce.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
Do you have a recipe for the pizza sauce or do you do like I do for Spaghetti sauce and just dump and taste???
Originally Posted by BMP
We are done...100 quarts of tomatoes. I may make some pizza sauce with the few we have left.
walmart sells large bags to use for sauce mixes for spag. add it to your tomatoes and cook whenever you want spag.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Have done 50 qts of tomatoes and will be making some spaghetti sauce after Labor Day. My daughter willtake the batch over the holiday!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew1
Green beans check. Tomatoe salsa check. Tomatoe juice check. Grape juice check. Corn check. What else can I get my hands on?
i got offered some grapes. should i go get them and make juice?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM

i'm getting ready to do stewed tomatoes tomorrow....but I was just cking some receipes online and the way I have always done mine - cold pack - I believe.... peel my tomatoes, then add green peppers, hot peppers, onions, celery and garlic and then cook the heck out of them all together then put them in hot jars and seal them......done..... now I believe reading online they are saying that is no longer a healthy way to do them anymore..... do any of you still do them this way.... Like I say I have for years and have never had any problems.... help ???? fast.... thank you all
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM

I was feeling pretty good about making a batch of pickled beets, pickling a bushel of small cukes in various ways. I am in awe of those who have done all kinds of veggies, fruits, jams and sauces - my hat is off to you!! Enjoy.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2manyprojects
In the last 2 weeks have done 100+ ears of corn, frozen, 1/2 bu green peppers, frozen, 17 pt of ketchup, 24 pt spaghetti sauce, and 12 pt of whole tomatoes, I now have an ace bandage on my wrist cause I either strained it (haha) or my "arthur" has found a new spot to send pain! I love doing it though and love the fresh taste in the winter and also "knowing" where your food comes from...Would love to do some fruit, but depends on how long peaches are in, will probly do pears in a few weeks and then applesauce, yum, can't wait! :wink:
I would love your ketsup recipe, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I would like some without HFCS in it. TIA!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for pickles that we used to just put in the jars with water and spices and then turn the jars over everyday? My father also used to make pickles in a crock, but I liked the ones in the jars and they were easy to make.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM

Well, I have canned more this year than I ever have before. Mostly because my freezer is full of beef. DH got me a pressure canner for my Bday in July, so I have put it to good use. I have canned green and purple beans, bread & butter pickles, dill pickles, dill relish, zucchini pickles, peach elderberry jam, and plum jam. I still have tomatoes, corn, elderberries, beets, and maybe peaches to go and hoping for blackberries. :D