Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a bother....washing fabrics >

What a bother....washing fabrics

What a bother....washing fabrics

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

I am in the process of prewashing fabrics .....24 of them! And then will have to iron them all. Geez, what a pita! I wish I could snap my fingers and they would all be done and ready to cut.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM

I don't press them till I am ready to use. Folding them usually takes care of the majority of wrinkles.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 AM

I followed Deb's suggestion and it took away my ironing phobia. And, if you are using dark or red fabrics you should always pre-wash with a color catcher. My DD wanted to use a red flannel for the backing of a baby quilt. After washing 5 times, yes, 5, it was still bleeding and she decided not to use it.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I don't press them till I am ready to use. Folding them usually takes care of the majority of wrinkles.
Same here. I also don't dry them to bone dry. It helps smooth out the wrinkles even better.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I don't pre-wash. If there's a color I suspect might bleed, I test a small piece in a glass of water to see if dye runs, then rub the damp fabric against white fabric to see if dye transfers. Saves me a lot of time!

Regarding shrinkage, it's true that fabrics can shrink a lot when washed. However, after a fabric is quilted closely in a quilt sandwich, it is the batting that controls shrinkage. Meaning, if a fabric would shrink 8% if washed by itself but batting shrinks 3%, the fabric will also shrink only 3%. Fabric shrinkage *is* a problem for quilts that are tied or quilted with lines far apart, as the batting will then not control the fabric.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Yes, I am washing fabric, too. It seems such a pain!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 AM

It does seem like such a big pain, I agree totally! I NEVER used to pre-wash my fabrics, until I was tested for chemical allergens and the ONE thing they found that I am highly allergic to is the formaldehyde found in the processing of fabric! What a pain!

The whole experience starts when I go shopping for fabric. About 15 minutes in the LQS sets me into a sore throat and itchy hands....and that is if I barely fondle the fabrics! When I find fabric, I have to put it on the cutting table and leave it there so that I don't have to carry it around. About 30 minutes into the shopping "experience" the inside of my hands are scratched from my fingernails and I have almost no voice left! Quite a sight to see actually!!!

When I get the little pretties all home, then I trim the corners back to help with the fraying and wash them with warm water and "free" detergent and a smidgen of "free" softner, and an extra rinse. Then, the second washing is with no soaps or softners. They get to be in the dryer or on the line for a short time, long enough to be almost dry. Then, ruler folded and put away.

When it comes time to use the fabric, then I press it and cut away! But, while cutting and sewing it together, I still suffer the itchy hands, but a lot less than I would without washing them!

I never suffered with any of this in the first 6 years of quilting until I was diagnosed. I don;t suffer too much at home in the sewing room unless I am handling the fabrics. I have well over 2,000 yards in my sewing room and don't suffer like in a QS. The reason is that when I found out, I had to wash all the fabric I owned at the time (just under 800 yards). After putting it back into my room and washing all fabric before it gets into the sewing room, it has removed most of the chemicals. When I enter an LQS, I am surrounded by unwashed fabrics, so my body reacts.

Now, since I have started prewashing, my quilts don't suffer as much shrinkage!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 AM

I tend to just toss my fabrics in with a load of wash containing the same(ish)colors - light, dark,red or white. Somehow doesn't seem so much of a hassle that way.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I tend to just toss my fabrics in with a load of wash containing the same(ish)colors - light, dark,red or white. Somehow doesn't seem so much of a hassle that way.
Ditto.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM

I wash them all, do not want to risk blurring the job done. Have tissues that are changing the water one week. It's tiring but it is accurate. Ironing, a woman paid for it ... is very annoying.