Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tying quilts >

tying quilts

tying quilts

Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
The only person you have to please is yourself. This is your hobby and as long as you love it, nothing else matters. Tied, rag or pieced and quilted, they are all masterpieces! Keep up the good work. :)
There's nothing wrong with tying a quilt. One of my favorites was made by my DGM and it was tied. Remember, all that matters is that you are having fun. Anxious to see your pics.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 AM

My DMIL (gone now) was a gifted quilter. She tied many of her quilts. Years later those quilts are still intact in spite of lots of use and washings. I love the look. She used good embroidery floss with co-ordinating colors. I'm sure you will make the right choice.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 AM

I agree with every one else. Nothing wrong with hand tying a quilt. They are very soft and cuddly feeling. For me, some of my ties didn't stay after many many washings.
And as for using the machine to tack them, this is what I did. If you have a machine with fancy stitches, set it so it will do a single motif of the stitch and then do them instead of the hand tying. I did one with little hearts, turned out cute.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 AM

Tying is one of many acceptable ways of quilting, and sometime even the preferred way. Last weekend I attended a quilt show in the Atlanta area and notices several tied quilts which were stunning. The ties did not distract from the piecing. (I thought that some of the quilts were so over quilted by machine that the piecing wasn't even noticeable.) I have a student now, who is making her first quilt. She's using a lot of her mothers' old clothing. The sweats are being patch worked as the backing. The nighties, and house dresses will be simple patchwork on the front. Tying will be the best way for this new quilter to bring it all together. She'll also be able to incorporate some of the buttons in a practical sort of way. I wish I could post a picture of her enthusiasm. She is Sooooo excited about this project, and I get to share her excitement. :-)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 AM

I have made 9 queen size quilts so far, and they all have been tied. I my self can not spend the money on a LA to do it, and I am smart enough to not even try to FMQ...yet in my early stage here.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 AM

On one quilt I sewed a button on the spot where I wanted it tyed. It came out pretty good. I would not do this for a baby quilt as the buttons may come off.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 AM

I personally prefer to hand quilt but many antique (and I mean way Back) quilts were hand tied. I hand tie if I'm in a hurry to get something done since it's faster. I think it's perfectly exceptable and the ones I've done turned out just fine. And as for machine quilting! I'm not good at it!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 AM

I just finished a quilt and tied it with embroidery floss. It came out cute. I used a couple of strans and different colors mixed together for this one. Try it but only make one knot and see what it looks like that way you can take it out easy enough and change it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I don't have a problem with hand tyed quilts. It's a matter of personal tastes and available $$..

Nothing to feel inadequate about.... you do what u can do..... a hand tyed quilt reminds me of all the quilts my grandmothers and great grandmonthers made that I slept under growing up... brings back alot of good memories...

I'd love to see some of ur work...... I'm sure they are beautiful.....there is alot of great thigns to be said about " hand work"

me Too
:thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 AM

I love tied quilts... I personally think that they are more like old quilts... I love all quilts though... But, tying a quilt is just one style... There are many ways to finish it. I love the tied quilts just as much as the others... Keep tying to your hearts content. And, always, always be proud of what you make... Mistakes are the flaws that make something truly hand made... Cherish your work...