Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Pam it's a hit and miss with me too
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Irishrose I like what your friend said - I am a compulsive overeater, so I am not one to take portion control advice from, but I had a good friend who tried to teach me to eat three bites of any yummy food. She truly felt that after the first three bites, it all tasted the same, so why bother.

I am trying to downsize portions so I only eat half of what is on my plate and give the rest to Murphy.

I have been working seriously on weight loss since the beginning of September and am determined to be below 200 by my birthday in March.

Hope everyone's week has started off just the way it should food wise.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Can't sleep and decided to check in. Tomorrow is my cardiology appointment, just printed my medical history so I have it in my hot little hands. I take a copy of history, plus current meds, plus meds allergies and lists of current doctors when I go. It saves so much time and explanations.

My oxygen levels are getting lower. Today we went to Dollar Tree and yes, I walked a little, and my O2 was down to 93. It has to be 88 for oxygen to be approved by medicare. Will definitely discuss with doc in the morning.

I'm not getting updates either on this thread. I was happily surprised to see so much "chatter" awaiting me.

I cook apples and oatmeal in the crockpot overnight and eat in the morning. Very yummy on a cold morning and no sweetner because of the apples. I add raisins too.

I got me a new "old" sewing machine last week, a Singer 99. She is electric but I am wondering if I convert her to a hand crank if that would be too much exercise for me? She is really pretty, dh and I will restore her together this month on the dining room table.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM

I'd find a way to use handcrank before I went to the expense of converting a machine. I think it would be too hard. Besides, I need both my hands free to sew. There's a reason motors were put on machines, IMO. MJ, you have the darnest bedrest I've ever seen. You and I would make a good pair. Have you posted a picture of you 'new' machine. I'd like to see it.

Nancy, I'm assuming Murphy doesn't have a weight problem. My furgirls both lost weight when I ran out of cheese and they didn't need to lose any. Now I have to increase their food to get their weight up.

Pam and Sheila, I'm an evening eater, too. I think you'll find it's quite common on here. As I said earlier, we need to plan for it, then it's okay. Nothing tonight for me, though. Too much gall bladder pain in my upper back. Darn.

Good night, all.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Oh good,we have a challenge!I'll try to beat it this month.I ran out of everything this payday.Dish soap,shampoo,shower gel,etc.So got some and some ivory bars a 10 pack in fact.I read on utube where we can make our own stuff,all out of ivory bar soap.You shred it and put boiling water (2 cups) and let er sit all night.The next day you add 1/4 c. of moisteriser lotion for body wash,1/4 cup of vinegar for dish soap,and 1/4 cup of hair conditioner for shampoo so it's not so harsh.She makes it all the time.Sounds cheap to me.I am trying it.Ok,well looks like everybody is doing great.We can do it.I'm finely getting caught up a bit from my summer slack off from the heat.Plus helping the ole lady down the rd out w/some of her things.I hope to get a lot off this month.I got some catching up to do.But will get the challenge out of the way first.I love these challenges.Their kind a like a boost to get me going!.Well,I got to catch up on some posts.I'm behind!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Oh good,we have a challenge!I'll try to beat it this month.I ran out of everything this payday.Dish soap,shampoo,shower gel,etc.So got some and some ivory bars a 10 pack in fact.I read on utube where we can make our own stuff,all out of ivory bar soap.You shred it and put boiling water (2 cups) and let er sit all night.The next day you add 1/4 c. of moisteriser lotion for body wash,1/4 cup of vinegar for dish soap,and 1/4 cup of hair conditioner for shampoo so it's not so harsh.She makes it all the time.Sounds cheap to me.I am trying it.Ok,well looks like everybody is doing great.We can do it.I'm finely getting caught up a bit from my summer slack off from the heat.Plus helping the ole lady down the rd out w/some of her things.I hope to get a lot off this month.I got some catching up to do.But will get the challenge out of the way first.I love these challenges.Their kind a like a boost to get me going!.Well,I got to catch up on some posts.I'm behind!
Xylie, please report on the soap project. I'd really like to make my own soap products but dh isn't so keen on the idea. This one sounds doable without too much ickiness.

Irish, I'm tired of sitting in the recliner all day. I have to get out a little because I just go nuts in the same 4 walls. I pick things where I go just a little, like Dollar Tree with its limited space, not Walmart. I always take my wheelchair to Walmart and grocery store, etc.

The handcrank conversion is only about $20. Very cheap.

I'll take a picture of her soon. I need to photograph some quilts also.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
OMG! Missy, so grateful you are okay.

For those who "push" food, they are the ones with the problem. You could be blunt and just say, "I don't like that product."

It is time for me to "weed" my closet too. I have too many clothes that are "memories" instead of wardrobe.

I went to lunch with dh and ate only half of my meal. That is a victory in portion control.

Keep on chugging water, folks! It's sooooo good for you.
Oh my gosh,so glad your ok too.How scary.Yes,you were under gods protection alright!.Yes,I need to weed out my things too.Some of those are so big,I'll never wear them again.Nor do I ever plan on it.I check the scales every 3 days so not to go there again.Even if I gain some,I can stop it and get it off before it grows into a 100 pound blob of fat again like I was.Now that would take a while to gain that much.Just like it's taking awhile to get it off.I got 30 pounds to go yet.And it's not moving or budging very fast,So,I am going to try to lose 10 pounds this month.At least.I feel bloated now from these pills I'm on.They make me hungry all the time.My appetite is enormous.And I've not had any problems in yrs with that.So decided to go on Spirutein for 3 weeks.Beside I also have a cracked lip and every time I open my mouth it splits open and bleeds and burns.So,another reason to drink my meals.It will keep my mouth SHUT.LOL!But of course,now I can post again.I'm feeling better and will start posting a few times a day to keep up with what's going on.Ok girls!you know the drill.Lets get er done!! and get it off!!!!!!!!!!!!Slap those hands back,and for gods sake,STAY OUT OF THE CANDY! or the ghouls will come for you!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM

missy-- i am so glad you are ok! what a fright! my husband had a run in with a median strip so he has a new car (to him) waiting in tx. don't know how he is going to get it.
mj-- if you behave yourself i will send you a sussie. or maybe is a pressie, not sure of the difference! if you can't walk to the bathroom, how can you justify walking the aisles at even a small store? i worry about your sense of self=preservation!
i received a sussie today. i know that's what it is cause it isn't a pressie. it's from a lawsuit from 10 yrs ago. evidently one of the lawyers padded his bill and they discovered it, so the court ordered him to refund the overage. woo hoo!! and yee haw! i see old bills paid, and new ones run up! mama's buying some fabric!!! and a template or two! since i spend most of my time flat i bring in no money, so this is a real treat! thank you greedy lawyer for getting caught at this very good time! i wish every one a happy sussie, too!!
cindy-- so good to hear from you! i know you will feel better and stronger as time goes on! furbabies love when their mommies come home!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 AM

Good morn,all. I've been up since 4....gonna be a long day.Have water aerobics this morn, then need a few things from the grocery.Been using lots of fresh fruit & veggies...they don't last long.

Cutting way back on meat is helping me.I'd much rather have good veggies,so no loss.
Keeping home made soup in the freezer works great.If I come home, hungry...just pop it in the micro for a couple mins, then simmer on the stove.Fast & filling.It's divided into serving size & kept in zip lock bags.
Does anyone use wraps for their lunch sandwich?
Trying to get more fiber & they have wraps in high fiber that taste great.
Have you noticed the prices on higher fiber cereals? Good thing I measure my portion!
DH dipped his cracker in a container of hummus...then asked what it was. He said "not bad"....till I offered him some.He said "no thanks!" LOL
Do you cook the same for the ppl living with you? Have a good day & eat healthy.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 AM

I started working out 3 weeks ago. No dieting or weighing my self but I have droped down 1 size so far...I would love to check this out for encouragement.I also have found that going with a friend to the gym makes a world of difference. You do not have to exercies togehter but meeting there and expecting her or yourself to be there is huge.