Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

oops! Hit send and didn't know it. Not only that - it did it TWICE!!!

As I was saying.. . . . .

plainpat, I know that I would not be in this mess if I had said NO on many occasions. Isn't each NO supposed to be easier?

mim, tell me about your herbal bath. It takes away pain?

dody, I have told Josh to grab the camera from time to time and take a picture of me. In fact, he has been telling me for a while to change my avatar as this one is 18 months old. I do not like my picture taken. Thanks for the compliment. I remember laying the blocks on the floor of the laundry room in one RV park we were at, then finishing it when we moved back to the coast. On a dry day, I spread my backing, batting, & top on the grass and anchored it with safety pins, then pinned away. I still use that process today, except I anchor it on the carpet.

MJ, it is great to see your smiling face. We have missed you! It is good to know that you are resting.

bjeriann, I feel for you in looking for a new doctor. I know that awaits me when we finally leave Texas. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Jeanne, hang tuff! Know that after your water, better drinks are waiting.

Missy, hi girl. Your quilt is lovely. I am the pits at pinwheels. All those center seams. aarrgh

Was a so-so day for me. Got some cookbooks at the library - we need something different. I did do 30 minutes of Gilad this morning and my knees are fine. DH wants me to stop doing aerobics and get back on the elliptical and walk. While I will do those, I see no reason to stop doing something if it does not cause me pain. I still have 11 dvds to try out - most of them are strength-focused. I really need that.

Need to check the laundry. Hugs to all...........
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM
mim

Herbal bath to relieve aches and pains

I have a bottle of Nature's Elements -- Muscle-Relax bubblebath aromatherapy. I add it to a nice hot bath and pour on Dove body wash for sensitive skin -- nice ans feels like a hair conditioner afetrwards.

I have been very careful about rubbing/scrubbing because almost 2 weeks ago we got our shingles shots and I still have a reddish reaction on my arm where I got the shot. I have been reassured that it isn't a shingles outbreak -- but I'm wary. Every itch or sensitive place sets me worrying. I hate neck labels -- so I cut them off -- but the neckline seam sometimes rubs.

Probably and herbal bath would be as good, but I like this one -- not too strong a smell. It has rosemary, cedar oil, eucalyptus oil and lots of other stuff

hope this works for you -- mim
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by mim
Herbal bath to relieve aches and pains

I have a bottle of Nature's Elements -- Muscle-Relax bubblebath aromatherapy. I add it to a nice hot bath and pour on Dove body wash for sensitive skin -- nice ans feels like a hair conditioner afetrwards.

I have been very careful about rubbing/scrubbing because almost 2 weeks ago we got our shingles shots and I still have a reddish reaction on my arm where I got the shot. I have been reassured that it isn't a shingles outbreak -- but I'm wary. Every itch or sensitive place sets me worrying. I hate neck labels -- so I cut them off -- but the neckline seam sometimes rubs.

Probably and herbal bath would be as good, but I like this one -- not too strong a smell. It has rosemary, cedar oil, eucalyptus oil and lots of other stuff

hope this works for you -- mim
Thx mim! Will have to look for this. Anything to avoid having to take a pill.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I have a little request. Josh has a major history paper assignment and is looking for topics. He will write about an event that has to have happened AT LEAST 10 years ago. Here are some of the things I have mentioned, and appreciate anything 'outside the box'. Also, he is passionate about WW2 history and wrote on Italy/Mussolini for his 4,000 word extended essay earlier this year.

His teacher wants something 'groundbreaking'. It could have happened anywhere in the world.

Iran-Contra
Tiananmen Square incident
Battle of Stalingrad
Kent State Shootings
Nobel Prize controversies
Cuban Missile crisis

Thanks in advance ladies for your help.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leann
I have a little request. Josh has a major history paper assignment and is looking for topics. He will write about an event that has to have happened AT LEAST 10 years ago. Here are some of the things I have mentioned, and appreciate anything 'outside the box'. Also, he is passionate about WW2 history and wrote on Italy/Mussolini for his 4,000 word extended essay earlier this year.

His teacher wants something 'groundbreaking'. It could have happened anywhere in the world.

Iran-Contra
Battle of Stalingrad
Kent State Shootings
Cuban Missile crisis

Now this might sound really silly but close your eyes and think about this topic...

How the tv show America's Funniest Home Videos has changed the way we document our lives and our families. I, personally, think that it was the precursor to Youtube. Our lives have not ever been the same since AFHV.

So...there ya have it. Missy's idea of a monumental thing that changed history. LOL!

Missy
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

How about the 1968 Olympics with the two guys doing the single fist salute. They got kicked out of the olympics and were stripped of the gold and silver medals. Or maybe the 1972 Munich olympics with the Israelie teem slaughtered. Just some thoughts.

Originally Posted by Leann

Iran-Contra
Battle of Stalingrad
Kent State Shootings
Cuban Missile crisis

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm thinking:

the Berlin Wall coming down, which went up in the Cold War

The World Trade Center bombing, which was over 10 years ago now.

The Cuban Missile Crisis
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM

How about comparing the Tiananmen Square incident to what is happening today in the Wall Street Protest? or compare the Kent State Shootings to some event in our current history. Comparing and Contrasting an event from our past to similarities and differences in a present day even would be fun and maybe out of the box, not sure what the class has done.

quote=Leann]I have a little request. Josh has a major history paper assignment and is looking for topics. He will write about an event that has to have happened AT LEAST 10 years ago. Here are some of the things I have mentioned, and appreciate anything 'outside the box'. Also, he is passionate about WW2 history and wrote on Italy/Mussolini for his 4,000 word extended essay earlier this year.

Iran-Contra
Battle of Stalingrad
Kent State Shootings
Cuban Missile crisis

Thanks in advance ladies for your help.[/quote]
Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Missy I just took a class on those darn half square triangles and finally learned the math formula for them. Also have you heard of or used the thangles?
I have a great chart that tells you what size to cut for what size finished half square triangle you want to end up with. Do you have a fax?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM

It's only tuesday and I have already broken the taboo. I had a migraine this afternoon so I washed my excedrin down with a dr pepper. It was strictly for medicinal purposes. After my headache was gone I went out and did yard work for 2 hours so I think I burned off the calories. Now I will have to take a sleeping pill to go to sleep because the caffeine has such a strong effect on me.
Tonight I cut out pieces for a lap quilt to work on at a retreat next week. I cut out over 600 squares. 304 of them were 2 3/8" square. Those small ones also need to have a diagonal line drawn across them. Whew! I doubt the sewing will take as long as the prep.
Sorry I'm no help with the history stuff but it sounds like some good ideas are flying around here.