Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 AM

mythreesuns, I like the quilt in your avatar. What pattern is it ? Not that I need any more ideas.

This is a dangerous place to announce you're not a walker. For obvious reasons, some can't walk, but it is good exercise for most of us. If I didn't force myself to go out every day, I would be wheelchair bound. I do have one but it's definitely out of use, thank goodness.

MJ, I'm saddened to hear you are back in bed. When you can, show us a picture of your GFG. I'm curious to see the larger hexs.

Have a great day, everyone. No sunshine here. It seems I need to get someone to stop by and get my snowthrower down. Brrr.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM

It's a chilly,but sunny day here.Yesterday I did grocery shopping & we had a late lunch out.
I get to eating too much of same thing, so looked up some diff recipes. Still losing very slowly, but even a pd a wk works for me & this time next yr, will have lost 50pds to goal.
We have very few beggars here, so DH chooses candy for them Of course he buys the small candy bars he likes.....cause left overs are his. LOL
Hope everyone has a good day.We're having brfast for supper.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM

MJ-
I am ready to track who signs up for november's weight loss for you. I missed being able to do it this month but we all know why that was.

I have stayed on track with my weight loss since coming out of the hospital.

Have a great weekend end and remember you are in control of your life.

Cindy
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM

We made it back from vacation at 1:30 am. Canada is so beautiful! I was very surprised to see the changing leaves. Ours were done before we left. We first drove to Montreal, then to Niagara Falls and then to Toronto. We left Toronto yesterday morning, drove to Grand Rapids, MI to pick up my daughter's bf and then drove home. It took us 18 hours! I really don't recommend traveling that far in 1 day. I did not gain any weight during our 9 day vacation! I tried to make healthy choices when they were available. When the family wants to eat at a place where the only thing on the menu is poutine, there's not much you can do. Now I have a house full of company that is hungry. I have a big kettle of taco soup simmering.
Penny, when I had my hysterectomy, I could not sleep in a flat bed for a couple of weeks. Do you have a recliner?
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
We made it back from vacation at 1:30 am. Canada is so beautiful! I was very surprised to see the changing leaves. Ours were done before we left. We first drove to Montreal, then to Niagara Falls and then to Toronto. We left Toronto yesterday morning, drove to Grand Rapids, MI to pick up my daughter's bf and then drove home. It took us 18 hours! I really don't recommend traveling that far in 1 day. I did not gain any weight during our 9 day vacation! I tried to make healthy choices when they were available. When the family wants to eat at a place where the only thing on the menu is poutine, there's not much you can do. Now I have a house full of company that is hungry. I have a big kettle of taco soup simmering.
Penny, when I had my hysterectomy, I could not sleep in a flat bed for a couple of weeks. Do you have a recliner?
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
I am so glad you had a great vacation! I bet you are glad to be back home though.

What is poutine? I have never heard of that before. Is it a French dish?

Missy
Old 10-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Poutine is French fries covered in gravy. I think it is a Canadian dish. It seems like it should be a side dish that is shared instead of a meal. That's just me!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
Poutine is French fries covered in gravy. I think it is a Canadian dish. It seems like it should be a side dish that is shared instead of a meal. That's just me!
I am a southern girl and I just love love love white cream gravy and french fries!! If you look real close as I walk past you you will be able to see the oodles of french fries and gravy that now make up my butt. LOL!

Missy
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Here are pictures of my grandmother flower garden blocks.
The hexagons are 5 inches each, each total block of 1 center, 6 "flower print," 12 "green paths" and numerous white hexies. I haven't counted all the white ones yet. (Just counted 18)

I bought the half hexagon from Missouri Quilt Co. I can use my rotary cutter and 2 1/2 inch strips. I would never cut hexagons by hand as I dislike template cutting. I have considered using my accuquilt Go to cut the small hexies but I haven't bought that die yet. Also, I am waiting for the Go! to be repaired after I broke it in a sulky fit!

Each of these giant "flowers" is almost 28 inches across. I am using 9 "flowers" to make a queen top. I will add at least one border of hexies all the way around the edge but I haven't chosen if these will be colored or white.

I am auditioning the filler pieces now. I saw an oval "flower" to put between the white paths. I just haven't decided but I DO know that I will hand quilt this. I have purchased a lovely multicolor pastel thread named "sherbet" for the quilting.

The pictures are made on my phone, so not so good.

I did find an alternate method of piecing the blocks on Sewing with Nancy; she pieces in strips so there are no Y seams. I did one that way. It is faster but takes more concentration than I sometimes have.

block 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279005[/ATTACH]

block 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278952.jpe   attachment-278953.jpe  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM

I love your blocks!

Missy
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Those are very pretty and big enough so you'd feel like there is an end in sight. Grandma's quilt has four solid colred hexs in various colors for the fillers. Don't tell me you don't like template cutting. My next quilt is a variation of a Drunkard's Path. Template cutting and curved seams! I can't cut straight with a rotary cutter, let alone a curve so I'm a little concerned but I can always use scissors.

I'll watch for a 2 1/2" half hexagon but I think I will eliminate the center seam.

I wish I could make a quilt for my bed, but that would mean keeping L & M off the bed and I won't do that.

The pound I was down yesterday stayed off, so I've exceeded my personal goal for the month. Feels strange when I was stuck for so long.

Now boot me off here so I can pick up some prescriptions and some yogurt for the dogs.

Xylie and Lynne, where are you?

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy