Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
QM
Power Poster

My former church had a highly embroidered casket cover made for the use of church members, with the intent of discouraging waste at funerals. Your idea is a fine one...if your family will consent to use it.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 AM

i hope to have a stock pile of quilts at my funeral and that all the mourners will leave with a quilt made by me.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by BeverlyH
I'm a genealogist. I respect the wishes of others but I cannot tell you the many heart felt times I have had when finding another relative in an old cemetery after hunting for them. You never know who in your family will get the "hunting bug." To explain what it felt like to be in the cemetery where my 7th grandfather back was buried in 1691 - would be more than you want to hear about. He was on the second ship after the Mayflower, The "Good Fortune" that landed in Plymouth in 1621. I guess what I am saying is - think it over - and leave a trail.
Exactly - and isn't that what quilters and crafters, painters and writers do? We leave a piece of ourselves when we go so others (if they care to look) will know we've been here and laughed, loved and lived.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i hope to have a stock pile of quilts at my funeral and that all the mourners will leave with a quilt made by me.
Isn't that a super wonderful idea - I'm starting TODAY!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

What a great idea.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM

I attended a guild member's funeral a few year back. He was one of only two men in our group and died very suddenly.

I had to stand in line to get into the memorial chapel at the funeral home (which was the biggest room they had). when I finally made it to the door I understood. All of his quilts were on display as was a lot of his wearable art along with ribbons won, mementos, pictures with his wife, musical instruments played, etc. It was a wonderful tribute!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM

I hadn't thought of casket cover quilts but have thought of burial quilts...have yet to make one. There is a small movement towards simple burials.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Flowers are lovely and some people really enjoy them as I do as long as the are outside in all their glory. and not in an enclosed room with all the other scents wither man or woman joining in to choke me up
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by connie_1936
i am donating my body to the U of A medical school so , no worries about funeral expenses. its a great program. they immediately transport your remains after death free of charge to the universiy and return your cremated remains to your family in about a years time. hopefully the medical students will learn something, especially about the rare liver disease i have. medical schools are really in need of bodies to teach their trade. if you don't want to burden your loved ones with funeral expenses this is the way to go. [ pun intended ]. a friends family had a memorial luncheon to honor her mother when her ashes were sent to her. some of you may want to look into these programs.
It is a good thing to do, but I don't want people looking at me now, let alone with I am dead and gone.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM

The very first quilt I ever made was a gift to my grandmother, and when she passed 2 years ago, that quilt and a pillow she asked me to make her were both displayed in the casket with her. I don't recall now if there were casket flowers as well, but I don't think there were.