Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Several years ago a great quilter (in our area) passed and her family used a quilt instead of flowers on her casket during the wake. It was beautiful and so right. They also displayed numerous quilts around for people to admire. Many people had stories about the quilts on display and it was a wonderful tribute to the gal.

I think it would wonderful for you to make your own quilt for this purpose.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Saw somewhere the inside of casket was lined with quilt. On inside of cover where the satin usually is. Told DH that is what I would like to have. He said you better get it made then, cause you know how long it takes you sometimes. Got to love him.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Guess you can't leave the planet til it's done!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Two of my husbands best friends died last year. They donated their bodies to the medical school in Galveston. Then when they are finished they have the body cremated and sent to the family, I believe the cost for the cremation is about $150.00. They had aa mass (both Catholic) and a get together after. My husband and I had planned to be cremated, so we might follow in their footsteps. At the gathering they can spread out my quilts. For my husband it will be memorbilia (sp) and the Texas quilt I am in the process of making. I hope he lives a long time because I'm not close to getting it finished.

Thanks you for bringing this topic up. It reminds me to get busy.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
GREAT IDEA!!!! I will have a closed casket because I don't want anyone saying "Boy, she really was the ugliest one of the three!!!!!!!" I don't have time to tell the story behind this but two people said it to my face that I wasn't as pretty as my sisters. Thanks for listening to me!!!!!!
I told my husband if I get something that makes me wither away I want an open casket so for once people will look at me and say ,"Oh she is so thin". But actually we plan to be cremated and I told my son I want the ashes strewn someplace I've never been but that is beautiful, I added, "and I don't mean a duck blind somewhere".
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM

When one of our small quilt group passed away 2 years ago her family put her memory quilt on the coffin. This was truly appropriate as she was very proud of this quilt.
As a courier I spent a year delivering flowers and became friendly with a couple of the florists I collected from. One told me they used old flowers, especially roses, for funerals because most people wanted to see them open. As some of these casket arrangements cost hundreds of dollars I think it's a rip off.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Our quilting guild made a quilt for a member who was quite ill.
When she passed not only was the quilt draped on the coffin but the entire room was a quilt show! Her family displayed many of the lovely quilts she had made for them over the years. The floral piece standing next to the coffin was a huge shoo-fly block done in yellow and white flowers.

A month or so later her DH brought bundles of fabric for each of our members. He felt that she would have liked to share her stash with us!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've told my kids that I want to be cremated, after the doctors have used whatever parts of my body I'm through with, then I want my kids to hurl my ashes at whatever neighbor I'm mad at at that time. The rest I want put in the mountains in Yosemite where my late DH and I back packed on our honeymoon. Or else in my dear Milton, WV hills where I spent my childhood, wondering over those green, green hills.
Ramona, I'm also from Milton, WV and right now, those hills are so beautiful they will take your breath away, if you remember from your childhood.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM

I loved reading these posts ------- there was a benefit cancer luncheon held for a man that my kids had grown up with and I donated a quilt. My youngest daughter won the quilt and paid it forward by donating it to Michael (that cancer patient). He used it everytime he went for his chemo treatments and he lost his fight and passed away a week ago. I was so tickled when I went to his viewing to see the quilt I had made covering him instead of the traditional covering. I hope it was cremated with him but I won't know until I ask.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273087.jpe  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

I haven't thought of it, but it does sound like a good idea