Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Can you believe I did this?  I can't >

Can you believe I did this? I can't

Can you believe I did this? I can't

Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 AM

This is just terrible! The LEAST they could do is replace
the fabric! I love your quilt, hope you show more of it!!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Got it done!! I did take out the black.... it really wasn't that difficult..... just time consuming. Then I re-appliqued the black, re-stitched the 'eye' and re-quilted the lines that went through the black.

When I bought that fabric, it felt too silky.... like it had too much polyester in it. But I needed the black and that was the only black they had... and it was the end of the bolt. There wasn't any information on the cardboard that the fabric was wrapped around and I ask the person working that day about it. She didn't know anything about it and the owner wasn't there. It's a small shop.... closest to me when I'm in the UP of Michigan. When I took it back, the LQS owner told me she had the same thing happen on a quilt she was making but when the problem was discovered, the fabric was gone and there wasn't any way of knowing who had purchased it. She told me that when she called the company she had purchased it from they said they weren't selling any more fabric until they found out what had happened. I still don't know what the problem was......

So, I've learned a valuable lesson.... DON'T BUY FABRIC THAT DOESN'T HAVE INFORMATION ON THE BOLT!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 AM

So cute sorry that happened
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM

So Sorry! But it is a truly beautiful butterfly!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Wow - never seen that happen before - I'd applique over it too, and still have a pain in my heart that such a thing happened. I wonder how on earth that could happen...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

poor butterflies. applique new wings over those. stay calm, you will get it done.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 PM

It really is pretty. Sorry you have to do it twice.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Highmtn View Post
~~♥~~♥~~♥~~

I agree. The ONLY person who will ever really see that is you. I'd find fabrics to match... I would hand applique over it in matching shapes/fabrics.

THEN.. I'd attempt to recreate the machine stitching and call it good. It will still be snugly and warm... and unless someone knows what to look for they will never spot the repair.

Lastly.. forgive yourself. You shared your experience with us, and we have learned from your mistake. You turned a negative into a positive for many of us.

Hugs!

Felicia
I would applique over the damaged fabric as you would repair an antique quilt. I use to have a book that helped you make a decision on how to make the choice of how to repair the damaged quilt.

We have ALL made mistakes so please give yourself a hug !!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM

What a shame. I would hand applique a new piece where all the other black is so you can feel safe with using and washing it. You could re-quilt over it as before.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 AM

I know how you feel! Black background fabric seems to be problematic - I had a whole quilt top dissolve into pieces when I washed it in preparation for quilting. All I can say is that I'm glad it dissolved BEFORE I had it quilted... Ever since I've been leary of using black solids as backgrounds.