Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Doing first quilt!  Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames!  :) >

Doing first quilt! Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames! :)

Doing first quilt! Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames! :)

Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Wow! I must first say that this site is great! I'm just getting into quilting (working on my first quilt now... pregnant with my first child, a little boy, and I'm making my first quilt for him) and this site has so much helpful info that I won't need to get a quilting book!

So, I need your help with choosing a quilting frame. I have looked at a couple frames at the local shops and the best priced one I could find was a "Q-Snap Floor Frame" for about $85. It looks really good, but is a little pricey. Does anybody have a cheaper suggestion?

My husband, who works in manufacturing, took a look at it and says he could make one for less than the store is selling it for. Being the business major graduate that he is, he is actually thinking about starting a business making frames. Oh boy... what am I getting myself into! :)

Any advice on a cheap quilting frame? Any advice on how to convince my hubby that with the economy being down like this, now is not a good time to get into a quilting frames manufacturing business?

Thanks a ton for this great site, and thanks in advance for your help!

C. Whitely
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you found us. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your frame or your husband quest for business. But, you never can tell, try making a couple and advertising them and see if they sell. That's the best advice I can offer, maybe someone on board can offer better advice.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks Pocoellie!

I don't think I want him making these things though...

:)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Hello and Welcome from Canada. Glad you have you with us. :)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Welcome from Ga. Glad to have you with us.

I do not hand quilt (old lady with arthritis in her thumbs) so I cannot tell you about the latest and greatest in frames. I do, however, own one. It is a large round wooden hoop that I have had for years and quilted my first quilt on.

There are a lot of choices in frames out there. Many ladies on this board hand quilt and can give you great advice about what they use. In the end, you can decide what will work best for you.

Good luck and be sure to show us a picture of your baby quilt!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Welcome from Illinois! Good luck with the baby!!!! And your husband's new business venture!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi and welcome from Mass.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM

Welcome from Michigan! I hand quilt and have several frames, keep going back to the hoop as it is portable, easy to use and works best for me. The others just take up WAY to much space and I have a hard time quilting in different directions.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!

I only hand quilt small quilts that I can hold in my lap without using a frame.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I also live in SLC in the Sugarhouse area.

I've hand quilted using large hoop frames and that works well for me since I have limited space. My niece uses the Q snap frame you mentioned and it works well for her. Right now I'm trying to master free motion machine quilting so haven't been doing much by hand.

A question for you about the SLC area. . . where do you shop for fabric? I've been meaning to get to some of the quilt shops in the south end of the valley but haven't yet. Just wondering if you have a favorite. I mostly shop at Hancock's and online, but have gotten a few things at Pipers's in Sugarhouse.