Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim) >

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM

I too am in the tradition of home made whether it is a quilt, table topper, mug rug, pillow cases or baked goodies. I use to be so stressed shopping, now I just need to get things finalized. Being retired, I really have few wants or needs, but a gift card to a fabric shop would make me smile.

I wish us all good health in the new year, weight down or at least maintained. I am sorry I am not very good at specifics, but I do hope all goes well for those who have concerns. I hope we have lots of quilters join us in January when we can really make the new year resolutions sing.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Whoa Ladies, I just stumbled upon this thread. What a great thread, sorry I didn't know about this earlier. Hope I can still find for the January sign up. I definately have some weight to drop and any and all encouragement is always helpful. will be checking back with you ladies. Donna
Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Donna, keep coming back. The last week they will announce a new thread for January. But visit and you will meet many helpful people and it is great to learn who has lost the most for a particular month. I have been here since October and know I was great for two months, this one has been difficult.
Originally Posted by bnndr View Post
Whoa Ladies, I just stumbled upon this thread. What a great thread, sorry I didn't know about this earlier. Hope I can still find for the January sign up. I definately have some weight to drop and any and all encouragement is always helpful. will be checking back with you ladies. Donna
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM

yes I need to start back up too, with both the diet and the exercise <sigh> so I will be watching for the January start
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 AM

I am agreed with you all and it is a wonderful idea and i will go with this group. Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. Keep sharing.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 AM

wow!! i can't believe how many new names!! welcome, welcome, welcome!! we don't do magic here, but we do make pounds disappear, and in many cases, smiles appear in their place! these life changes take a lot of effort and a lot of time. so it stands to reason we need a lot of support! keep checking in and make yourself heard!! some of us have been here a good long time and have reached small goals on our way to our ultimate goal. and there's been a bit of slip sliding backwards now and again. this holiday season is a very difficult time to try and deprive yourself. instead, do a mental re-alignment. give yourself a very achievable goal--like, i will have a hi- protein breakfast, no bacon. then when you go to the party that night, instead of saying 'i can't eat that", turn your mind positively to ' i can choose 1 goodie because i met today's goal. out of all these choices my reward is....... . if there are 3 things all screaming your name as your reward, have one bite of each, and discreetly throw the rest away. if your husband is thin, pawn it off on him.' here honey you'll love this ! i tried it to be sure!' but unless you affected world peace and an end to world wide hunger, you probably haven't earned a reward bigger than 3 bites. 8-)
xylie--i was so worried about you! i will pm my phone number to you as i can call for free, so if you call me i can call you back. and carry it ( the phone) with you so if you fall into another tree you can call for help! i am so sorry you are in pain. be sure to drink LOTS of water. pain pills slow down the digestive tract and cause constipation (no politer way to say it). water helps move things along, and as we all know, flushes out the fat! i'm convinced extra fiber helps, too. that's why oatmeal is so often recommended in diets. sounds like you have a bone bruise. be patient, it takes a while to heal!
i have decided to enter a new swap== the six blocks for 6 blocks swap. the theme is springtime, so i have designed a tulip 9 sq. block. i will try to post a picture and you can tell me how to improve it. i kinda like it! and i'm doing the quilting in the new year swap, finishing up a boomerang swap, making a table runner for valentines, and doing the dq swap' that should keep me chained to the sewing machine LOL! i hope i haven't signed up for any more, that should be enough for one month! i want to get all the boom blocks done before january. i'll be busy sewing and will have no time to eat!! i've lost 3 lbs this month and 3 oz. 1 more and i'll have a 1/4lb. just like mcdonald's! hahaha my mind is so sick!
i have let my mother and my anger go. no sense in trying to fight with the dead. you can't change the past, but you can shape the future. the service is set for sunday jan.8th. that will be my last trip to nh for a long time. hope there are no blizzards that week end. january in nh, no telling!
as mr grace says, 'you're all doing very well!' now, make it true!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 AM

no cookie baking for me this year....i've lost to much to fall backwards. lots of water and walking here in n.y. keep up the progress.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM

I am so grateful that Christmas cookies haven't learned my name. They hardly ever yell at me. But Christmas candy??? OMG, it is so good that I am bed bound right now.

The lung doc upgraded my diagnosis from mild PH to moderate PH. Found a prob with my heart and gave me a beta blocker to help it pump. I gained 21 pounds in fluid in the last 10 days. Took 60 mg lasix last night and lost 7.5, it is still going today. Will be double on lasix for the next 5 days in hopes I improve.

Xylie, thank God you are back!!! Stay out of the trees! I understand the pain issues, I am on painkillers now for my defunct knee and just barely hobble to the bathroom.

I love the comment about reward (nancia?) of 3 bites, I can do that when offered temptations.

DH and I are just maintaining from day to day. I saw he slipped a present under the tree. It is kinda lonely there all by itself, but maybe it will have friends visit...

The joy of retirement is you don't have to do things the way you always did. If you have no enjoyment from the cookies, candies or baking, skip that part of Christmas. Find something intricate to hand quilt and spend some time with your hands occupied. It will keep you from snacking and reward you with a lovely Christmas treasure.

If you have to attend holiday parties, eat a bowl of soup before you leave the house (or drink it). The warmth and volume will fill up your tummy and you will desire less of the goodies.

I miss the old PDA section, I can't figure out the blog thing because I feel like I'm always writing to myself. It's just weird.

I really want to get to the "blues" quilt but I just have no energy. I spend my time either playing facebook games or sleeping, neither is very productive. I just don't seem to have concentration skills.

My family (the healthy ones) are all participating in the end of the year marathons. Is anyone training for a marathon on here? Irish, are you still walking to your grandson's? What goals are you setting for next year? Make them attainable but push a little. If you know you can comfortably walk 5 miles a week, move your goal to 7 miles a week.

I have a friend that walks 15 miles a week, but she seems to put it off each week until the weekend. On Monday she is pretty sore but she has lost 24 pounds this way over a year with no dieting at all. Find your motivation...if you hate to watch what you eat, pick up the pace!!

Hugs to all,
MJ
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM

MJ
I never understood the meaning behind what membership we are until I saw that you were a "super member" and then the light bulb went off. You really are a super member of this board. You always have such insight to share with all of us.

the rest of you "Super Members" out there thank you also.

Me I'M just a lowly senior member always hoping to get better.LOL

Lisa
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Unhappy

Xililie so sorry to hear about you injury still hurting. Yes I seems to take forever to heal. Please stay out of trees in the future. MJ so sorry to hear about your setbacks. I hope you are up and around son. Cindy glad to hear the rehab is going well. Everyone else just keep going.
I feel like I have been out of control eating wise since Thanksgiving. Thank God I have been working out pretty regular. I feel like My Mouth is on a plan to gain the most weight in a month. I came home from work today and ate 2 pieces of candy and some chips while I was making dinner. I just finished dinner and am thinking about eating some homemade bread. I am going to have to sew my mouth shut. I was hoping to not gain anything this month. It isn't going very well. I don't know what is going on. I just feel like I want to eat everything. If I wasn't working out it would be even worse. I am sure my weight will be up again on Saturday when I weigh in. I haven't even made any cookies yet. I was thinking of just making a pie for the parties I am attending this year instead of a plate of cookies. At least when the party is over the sweets will be gone.
I have to get back in control