Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newly quilted quilt already coming apart >

Newly quilted quilt already coming apart

Newly quilted quilt already coming apart

Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Newly quilted quilt already coming apart

I'm a newbie....my 3rd quilt top that I put together I sent to my daughter. She had it quilted by a lady in Kentucky last month. It is already coming apart! I made pillow shams to match which I sent with the quilt to be quilted. I noticed when I put the binding on the shams that the quilter used whatever you call that thread that looks like fishing line. She used that on one side and regular thread on the bottom. Is this a common practice? What I am thinking is that the fishing line thread is severing the regular thread when my daughter lounges on rop of her quilt. Any ideas? Such a waste of my time....how is it going to be fixed without having to resort to some hand tacking????
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The quilter probably used a nylon thread, a common practice for a while in the early 1990s. Most quilters stopped doing this when they began to have some of the same problems you're noticing. The thread manufacturers began to make a softer nylon thread, but still many quilters had decided to forego using nylon threads by then.

Next time, be sure that your longarmer is using good quality cotton thread. As a matter of fact, if it were me, I'd be using a different quilter, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM

I think I would be contacting the quilter and asking what the problem is...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM

It is called monofilament or "invisible" thread. Some quilters use it; I find it hard to deal with. But is acceptable to do it like that. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I'm sure it's not supposed to come apart even if you are laying on top. The thread should NOT be severing the bobbin thread. You or your daughter should talk to the quilter about it.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM

I would take it to the quilter and show it to her...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

did your daughter request invisible thread when she contacted the quilter? quilter's usually use what is requested. it could probably be re-quilted if need be...with regular thread instead of invisible thread. i quilted a quilt for my son years ago which i used invisible thread on- i wound up re-quilting it 3 times before i finally replaced all of the invisible thread ... i hate that stuff! guess it might be ok to use on wall hangings- but i would never again use it on a *used* quilt. but there is a chance your daughter requested it-so that's what she got- the quilter should be notified and talked to-she may be willing to re-quilt it with regular quilting thread.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

i never use monofilament and this is just one reason why... the second reason is that they are not designed to be used on a bed...wallhangings only.... and i still wouldn't do it...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM

This is interesting....I use monofilament almost exclusively in quilts of all kinds because I like the look of the quilting without having the thread colors detract from the designs. I have never had a problem with any of them coming apart.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM

I used it for the first time on a wall hanging.I will never use it again either. I like seeing the thread. And also it is hard to see and use.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM

I took a FMQ class in November and our teacher told us to use monofiliment thread on our quilts. You do use regular thread in the bobbin. teacher said she has been using this thread for ages and ages. She has experience of 25+ years in quilting and runs the quilting classes at 2 big stores. I do not think it is the thread, ask the long arm quilter what the problem could be.