Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!! >

Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

I have been using an HP 5 in one for the last 6yrs and it uses seperate ink cart.
I have made my own name tags for my quilts and and they turn out great. I also use it for Photos and love the results.
I have printed photos on fabric and used these to make family memory quilts,it prints these well on black and color photos.
I have made magnetic signs to put on cars and my own business cards,as well as birthday,Christmas,Easter cards. I haven't
had any major problems with HP brand.I have faxed many things all over the United States with no problem's.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by toadmomma View Post
I just went and bought one sat. as I had abeen fighting with my epson for months now and it wouldnt print finally and just dump ink. went to Best buys and the hp rep was there, told him what i wanted and got a photosmart, love it it was user friendly to install, plays well with vista inks can be bought seperately, and also small size or larger size of each, my requirment was also that it had to beable to reduce and enlarge, which it does. love it. was $129 with tax.. wished i had done it sooner, and the picture printing was incredible, my husband could not believe I had printed it it looked like a postcard. cant wait to try on fabric.
Can you please share the model and number, please. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Can't help with what to buy, but from experience, I can tell you not to buy a HP Photosmart Plus model B209. It is a copier, scanner, photo printer.
It suppose to be wireless also, but it only copies a few lines the gets an error message, but it doesn't do it all of the time. The worst problem with it is that it takes 564 black ink. But it cannot be photo black. Being a Photosmart you would think it would take Photo Black ink. NOT!
That particular ink cartridge has two types of black ink. Photo Black and Black. They are not interchangeable. After 2 mornings of 2 days, and several tech's that barely spoke english.
I finally had to insist on talking to Head product manager.
I must say that he was excellent, by 9 AM the following morning FedEx delivered 2 extra large black cartridges and a set of color cartridges. After a year they now mark the boxes with the warning on the box.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Wireless is a good thing to get in a printer. I have an hp color printer and I can put it anywhere as long as I have an
electric plug. It prints on both sides, and the cartridges are reasonably priced. I get happier with it every day! Mine is
an HP Photosmart Premium and I love it. I also had an HP OfficeJet and it was a great printer, had it for years and it
finally died. So that was the best I've ever had.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM

I have an HP but also have 2 Epsons. My epson printers use DURABRITE ink, I print photos on fabric and with the durabrite ink they are WATERPROOF. I have washed the quilts and quilted clothes numerous times. I use Printed Treasures printable fabric 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. I do use Staples but I have an excellent store close and they know me there.
You might take your papers, photos, anything else and use the printers in the store to help you decide.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 PM

HP printers have horrible software, there software prigram is HUGE and continuously updates, if you don't do a custom install, it will install additional software, especially if you are adding in scanning functionality. Yes, they print great when you first buy them, but you will start having issues and HP are notorious for not printing if there are any issues (such as not using genuine HP print cartridges, which are very expensive, this tis where they are maki g there money!)

Take a look at the Canon printers, the ink is cheaper and prints better on fabric. They print beautifully and true to color, and you can get a wide format (allows you to print on larger paper / fabric such as 13x19 and larger), their software is better, they are a camera company (as opposed to a computer) and most graphic artist go with a canon or epson.

And, transition to a wireless printer if possible.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I have an Epson Scanner, and have been using it for photos for years. I get good quality pictures with it, and have printed documents as well. I have made quilting directions using photo's and has worked well for that too. I have an HP printer that I have also used for years, and I can print 12 X 12 , great for scrapbook pages, and signs. I love it also. When these, die on me, I will consider scanner and printer combo, probably HP.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM

I seem to have the best luck with HP Officejets. The last one I got is a scanner, fax copier and printer. I only buy inkjets because I like to do my quilt labels with them, but if you don't plan on doing that, then a laser printer would be the way to go. I used to have the $300-400.00 models, but the last two I have gotten, I got at Wal-Mart...Now don't laugh...for $40.00 and they are fantastic. They last about a year until you have to replace the ink cartridges (and I do alot of printing) but with the outrageous price of refills, I go back to Wal-Mart and buy another printer. We then donate the old printers to a workshop here that dismantles them. Anyway, like I said, I've had the big and expensive, but, when it is all said and done, these little HPs from Wal=Mart are almost as good.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 AM

I would be interested in a printer that prints the larger pages. I currently have a Kodak all in one and it works well for what I do. I have yet to try photos on fabric though so I am very interested in that. pm me if you have one of the larger printers I sure would appreciate it - wil try to keep up with this post - Its great but confusing for me lol
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 AM

Don't forget that the copier needs to have a manuel feed system , as some techniques will require this- vs. the paper tray feeder system. Also, check out the machine's reduction and enlargement features. Harriet Hargrave, in her Mastering Machine Applique 2nd Edition, has a great chapter on how to use a photocopy machine, complete with photos and advice. Page 122!