Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted-swap gifts >

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
A thought occurs to me...if people end up putting "gifted" items in the Goodwill bin, and this is a monthly swap, why not steer this thing in a more productive direction. If everyone brought one canned food item and they were donated monthly to a food bank, wouldn't that be a better use of time and money? This is not meant to offend, but just to be more practical and useful.
for the monthly swaps we are mailing things across the country and sometimes out of the country. sending food other than the candy we send to our swap partners would not be feasible and not legal in the case of mailing international. the swaps we do are quilting related and not food drive related.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Almost all of the little swap gifts I get I find are things I will never ever use and I give them to Goodwill. The thing I would most like would be bags to put my shoes in when I put my shoes inside my suitcase when I travel. Also bags made with tuille windows with seperate compartments for ear rings and necklaces. The ones I have are made entirely from satin. I like the idea of being able to see the jewelry, but still it is contained and easy to pack and handle in the suitcase.
not sure what swaps you participate in but if you are finding you cannot use the handmade items sent to you, is it possible for you to note that you would prefer not to receive handmade items in your swaps? i know firsthand that it takes time, creativity & money to make the handmade items and if my swap partners are not finding handmade items useful, i would like to know that so i can divert these resources elsewhere.

i always let my swap recipients know that i don't mind if they need to regift anything i may send them. while i may think the potholders or pin cushions or thread catchers that i send are just awesome, the recipient on the other hand may not. and if i got word that my swap pal would prefer not to receive handmade items, i would oblige them.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK View Post
I love to make little pin-keeps for sewing / quilting friends. Then put in some pins with beads glued on top.
What is a pin-keeps?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM

I love any handmade items that I receive in the swaps, even the ones that aren't quilt related. I also send all kinds of neat little things that I pick up as I go....love the dollar bin isle at Michaels...you can get such cute stuff there...notecards, pens, note pads, coasters, address books, etc. I was at the pharmacy the other day and they had these adorable shoe laces tied to a huge paper shoe...sent some along with a doll quilt I had made for a swap and she loved them! I make scissor fobs and book marks that are beaded and send those. I've gotten a small wooden initial (my persons initial) and decorated with sewing notions...I love getting mugs rugs and use them all over at home and on my desk at work...have made charm packs from my stash so you don't have to go buy them and then wrap them up with pretty ribbon.....love the dishcloths that some people send that are crocheted and of course potholders or trivets....packets of seeds for gardens or gardening gloves are cute...little containers to hold all the tiny things in the sewing room....I've seen and received some really cute hand made sewing pins with different types of beads/decorations on the pin head. Usually I will send a fat quarter or two to the hostess of a swap and a lot of times that's also what I'll stick in as the extra goodie for a swap...we all love fabric right LOL? I have received a couple of cute bags that I really like because that happens to be something I'm terrible at making myself....have received handmade quilted postcards that I love...again, because I'm terrible at making them and I've also received handmade ornaments throughout the year. Just have fun and don't stress and give yourself a headache...99% of us are going to love whatever you send or make and like anything else in life, you aren't going to please all the quilters all the time
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

I am one of those people that when I walk into any store, I head strait for the clearance isle. For instance I was picking up prescriptions the other day and they had some stuff on a table they were trying to get rid of. Stuff at the pharmacy is often overpriced, at least for me, but this clearance table had some stuff I thought I could use. Like a little metal pumpkin with a handle for $1. I can put something in it, like candy or a candle, or I thought about making it into a pin cusion some how. I bought the 2 they had there. Also had some VERY cut book marks. I will add ribbon to them, maybe a bead. Wala, fancy bookmark. I picked up a couple of ornaments, too. One is already earmarked, the other will go in the right swap box when it comes along. I find the shopping is one of the best things about the swap. Along with giveing and of course receiving! LOL I've only done a couple, so far, and I see my scrap box going down already. Life don't get any better. LOL
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Used books on tape or CD, I love to listen to stories while I am in my Kingdom (my sewing room)... I love quilting magazines and pattern books. When ever I go to second hand store I look for them and love to share with my quilting friends.

I love getting local things like key chains from where you live, or anything with the name of your town. Special teas or coffee's that bring friends together. I love fat quarters, and cute scraps. I have made things for the swap kids spoken about. Sometimes it is so fun just to listen and get an idea that you know will be really appreciated but never expected... I love to get and give templates, some templates I have several of, but gladly give one away if I knew it was needed or wanted.

I think of the Quilting boards as a place to have a laugh, cuppa coffee, share a heart ache or just learn a new tip. It is like having a back door to the world. where the world in now small enough to be like a best friend.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Hmmm, just finished one of the items mentioned here, it's going postal tomorrow, so I can't say which one or the recipient might not be surprised when it arrives. Will post pic and link to the tutorial I used next week.

Extras are always fun to receive, but aren't required. Everyone has different limitations, with time, money, creativity, etc. The magnetic pads you can find @ WM, $ stores, Michaels, etc. - they hang on the refrigerator for quick notes or lists - are a favorite for me. A piece or two of chocolate, fq of fabric. Love to get a post card from the senders area.

The water bottle idea is super cute, as well as the key fob or scissors fob! I'm also very open to regifting... If you've received something that isn't your taste, as long as it's still new, pass it along if you think it might be appreciated. I'd much rather somebody pass along a gift that was a miss than to have them toss it or stick it someplace and forget about it. A gently used quilting or crafting magazine - if it's one they already have, no harm done and if not, they can enjoy it before it's recycled or passed along again.

A site with lots of links to fun ideas: www.tipnut.com
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM

"I think of the Quilting boards as a place to have a laugh, cuppa coffee, share a heart ache or just learn a new tip. It is like having a back door to the world. where the world in now small enough to be like a best friend"

That just about sums up how I feel about this board too!! Very well said!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

I'm going to have to bookmark this thread... Lots of good ideas!

A couple I forgot before: A sample or two of a quilting notion if it's something that comes several to a package. For example, a few of the Clover Wonder Clips, a strip or two of Thangles or of Stitching Lines... The recipient can try a new notion and decide if they want to buy more or if it's a notion they can pass on, without having to purchase a whole package themselves.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM

I love anything handmade! Love samples of teas or coffee. Love chocolate but here in TX, it'd be melted chocolate. Can always use seam rippers and other small notions, as I'm constantly carrying them out of my sewing area . . . and don't always remember to return them. Needless to say, I love fabric!