Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM >

Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

These blocks were already in a top, but the sashing and corner stones were falling apart. The fabrics are all kinds. The backing looks like an old sheet, very thin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346716[/ATTACH]
Questions: Do I cut the flowers off ?? Or just cut around old backing and put them on new background.

This is just a few of them. Thanks for looking. Becky
Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg   005.jpg   008.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM

I would consider taking them off the old sheeting, if it can be done without damage, but if not, I would layer them with bridal illusion to protect them from wear, and put it back together. I have a friend who had a quilt done by a GGM in her old age, that she wanted to keep 'as is' that she did that with, and it turned out lovely.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM

I think you could also iron light weight interfacing onto the backs of the blocks that would strengthen the thin muslin and provide some stability. Just an idea.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Looks like each petal of each flower is hand stitched to the thin background. If you clip those stitches, you will end up with a pile of loose flower pieces. I personally think that the hand stitches are part of the charm of the vintage quilt, so I would carefully cut around each flower, maybe leaving a 1/2" border, then think about reattaching them to a stronger material, perhaps by applique. I really like the look of those flowers!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM

I had a similar situation, but the background fabric was "leeching" green through to the dresden plates on the front. I cut around the edges of the design, cut the fabric out behind it, and needle turn appliqued the piece onto new muslin. So the only original green left - that did not show - was 1/4" approx on either side of the seam that I "re-turned." How big are the blocks? There are many other things you can make the blocks into and give to relatives. Good luck and I would like to know a size.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM

What beautiful squares and an awesome heritage from your GGM. I, personally, would hate to lose that little bit of her that is in the stitching. I like the idea of ironing a stabilizer of some sort on the back.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I would say to cut around the flowers and put them on new backing but some of the flowers look like the petal tips go right to the edge? I think I would place the flower (block and all)on top of the new background fabric and straight stitch around the outside flower petal edges inside the original hand sewing. I would then carefully trim away the white background and see how they look. You would perseve the original sewing, the flower would have the white behind to add stability to the fabrics and the flower petal edges would kind of fray up like raw edge appliqué?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of adding a layer of bridal illusion, as this keeps the original blocks as original as possible. I believe this is how preservationists add repair work to old quilts.

Instead of using fusible on the background fabric, I would simply add another layer of background fabric to each square. Fusible can yellow over time, whereas another layer of white fabric underneath the thin fabric will add stability without any risk of yellowing.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BeckyPotter View Post
These blocks were already in a top, but the sashing and corner stones were falling apart. The fabrics are all kinds. The backing looks like an old sheet, very thin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346716[/ATTACH]
Questions: Do I cut the flowers off ?? Or just cut around old backing and put them on new background.

This is just a few of them. Thanks for looking. Becky

Pretty! I'd leave them on the backing, simply to preserve what your great grandmother has done. Line with new cotton then I'd do them without sashing.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz View Post
I had a similar situation, but the background fabric was "leeching" green through to the dresden plates on the front. I cut around the edges of the design, cut the fabric out behind it, and needle turn appliqued the piece onto new muslin. So the only original green left - that did not show - was 1/4" approx on either side of the seam that I "re-turned." How big are the blocks? There are many other things you can make the blocks into and give to relatives. Good luck and I would like to know a size.
The blocks are 16 wide (seam to seam) !
14in high.

5 rows across 5 rows down

Last edited by BeckyPotter; 07-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.