Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 01-06-2023, 12:46 PM

Default J-A19M NA Morse Ambassador

I'm looking for more info on it if possible, I know the 19 means Toyota, the serial is low 33k so it's 1951 or 1952 but I cant find a manual for it anywhere.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:47 AM

It's a great looking machine, maybe from the late 50s or early 60s? Finding a manual will be difficult as there were many variations of this zig zag machines made in Japan. I'm stepping out on a limb here, but if I had Janey's research skills I would look for a machine with a "White" badge and hopefully a model number and then look for a manual that way.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Montgomery Ward - very simple well made machine - JC Penny and other department stores had their own 'badged' machine as well.
Picture heavy here - I'll post more in a while.

hello I would like to know more about this. I believe I have one and I could really use some more information about it.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:30 PM

Welcome to Quilting Board, MarielleR. Miriam has not been on QB for over a year. Since you quoted something that was posted mentioned various department stores, it is hard to know which one you have. Perhaps if you posted a picture someone may have one similar or know about your machine. However, there is sometimes not a lot of information on these Japanese machines and often the same or extremely similar will have many different names on them. I know one machine that has at least five different names on them. The may be different colors, but they are the same machine.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-09-2023, 09:57 AM

Default Coronado sewing machine picture

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and straight sew sewing machines. The thread will be for pictures and info for all heavy metal Japanese made machines that are not Singer Model 15 clones. Get your pics and post 'em!!! I betcha we will all learn a Lot from this. They will have different names and different features - yet similarities... well yeah they are sewing machines now aren't they...

Oh and I will start something for Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches.

Links for Japanese 15 check there first if you are in doubt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html and I just made one about the under sides of the Japanese machines: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t207416.html
Coronado sewing machine picture
Attached Thumbnails b941e6be-af6a-4613-a680-d20757a7db6c.jpeg  
Old 07-23-2023, 07:06 AM

Looking for more info, perhaps a manual, and maybe a little help. Recently inherited this vintage machine, and trying to restore it. I don't have a lot of money to pay someone to look at it, so I'm trying to do what I can on my own. Any info, manuals ect are appreciated. Currently troubleshooting the needle hitting in the bobbin area. Either it's hitting the shuttle hook or the bobbin case, unsure if it's user error (this is my first vintage machine) or a timing issue.

A few pics are attached, and I started my own thread about it here.
Attached Thumbnails pxl_20230721_160937023.mp.jpg   pxl_20230721_161003322.jpg   pxl_20230721_161011764.jpg  
Old 07-23-2023, 01:49 PM

Update: got the machine running and apparently it only does straight stitching. The lever I thought would control the zigzag, actually just sets the needle position. The other is the stitch length/reverse.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:05 PM

Default Capitol JZ72365

This Capitol was passed.on to me, it works well but the thread tensioner is broken. Underneath it is labelled GNS and JZ72365. Any info is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 20231125_193456.jpg  
Old 02-06-2024, 02:15 PM

Default Help Identify this machine

Hello All,

I am trying to find out the actual make and model for the machine in the pictures. It had a badge that says Premier and the tag says Deluxe Zig Zag model 4700, made in Japan. My search has not found any exact results. The closest thing I found was a Morse Zigzag model 4700 that was listed on Etsy for sale. It is nearly identical. I would love to find a user manual and a parts guide.This machine belonged to my late mother-in-law and was well used. One issue that I need to resolve is the tension mechanism. The spring is all bent up and I am not sure what shape or type of replacement spring I need. Maybe someone hereo on this forum can help me out or point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Mark K.
Attached Thumbnails scaled-20240206_122721.jpg   20240205_154802.jpg   morse-zigzag.jpg  
Old 02-08-2024, 06:51 AM

Welcome to QB, Mark. Thank you for the pictures. As mentioned it is hard to tell the actual manufacture of these machines. Since you have found the Morse 4700 to be almost identical, I would suggest that looking for that manual would be very helpful. I don't have any experience with any of these sites, but here are a few I found
https://www.ifixmachines.com/index.p...hbutton-manual
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2567826...button-zig-zag
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1655775...-m-zz-mzz-dial
https://manualsoncd.com/product/mors...uction-manual/
You may find a JA or JC number on them. Here is a site about those numbers and possible manufacturers - but a lot is speculation based on similarities or characteristics of said machines.