Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM

I save change, as well. it is amazing how quickly it adds up. During hurricane Sandy, my change was our 'cash stash' since the ATMs, CC and debit cards weren't available.

I use my change for when "grands" visit. When the money runs out, so do the good times! Not really, but having the change allows me to splurge a bit with them.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 AM

Until this thread started I was not aware that You Tube has a world of hints, recipes and ideas on how to save money by making your own products. I have made my own laundry soap for a couple of years, but I think I will try my dishwashing liquid and my dishwasher soap, fabric softner and substitue for Fabreeze room spray - maybe even my own soap, although I have a large supply still from my last purchase at Sam's. I have seen a nice savings in the cost of products used to clean the car. We had products to blacken the tires, polish the chrome, wash and polish the car, take the bugs and road grime off, etc. plus the products for the leather inside the car. Now mostly due to a bad back I take the car to a car wash every other month for $8 and use the fabric softner sheets to clean the bugs off the front of the grill. That works better than any product we ever bought! Great savings there.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM

We got rid of cable years ago -- we have Netflix streaming, and watch that, and local channels. Its cheap and I get to watch a lot of old series I didn't see the first time around (we were working way too many hours then!). I go to the library for books, and they have a great section of music and movies, too! Also, I live near Kaiser Permanente Dental, and they have bookcases of books that are sold $1 each (and all of that money is donated to charity), and the books come from patients as donations -- lots of brand new books in there! I buy fabrics at Goodwill, and when shopping yard sales for grandkids clothes (always looking to 'buy ahead' in sizes), I also look for larger clothing that has nice patterns, tablecloths, etc, for fabric. I go to Craigslist for free stuff - my friend just bought a house and I'm looking for plants, and yard stuff she'll need, which folks give away when they're redoing a yard, cleaning out, etc. Use a crock pot a lot and make at least 2 meals from it (there are only 2 of us here), so it makes it an easy dinner next time. Hubby stops at farmers stands during spring/summer for fruit/veggies, and we love stir fry with a little rice. Watch Lowes/Home Depot for paint 'oops' for paint to update lawn furniture, change out wall colors, etc. Above all, I LIKE looking for ways to save money - its fun for me, as well as necessary nowadays. We work very hard for every dollar, so why shouldn't we look for ways to make that same dollar work for us??
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Thought of another one - we are members of a credit union, so never pay fees for our checking account. We ALWAYS pay off any balance on our credit cards and get 1% back every year on one of them. We have one CC that has only a $500 limit, which is used for online purchases and those places that are a little more risky -- that one was compromised recently, and that saved us --- we got reimbursed quickly. Also, check out insurance coverage through your credit union -- we save hundreds a year over the old companies we used to insure with. Since the agent is shopping multiple companies, they are working for US by trying to save us $$. Got our kids to switch, too - they each saved hundreds of dollars a year by doing so. Go through your stuff that just sits around and list it on Ebay or Craigslist -- the extra $$ helps and you make it easier for yourself cleaning!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM

My sister in law and her daughter save coupons, she sends pic s of things they buy, it is amazing. They both have binder books and have them alphabetized, find things on sales and then use the coupons too have to admit they save a bundle. My honey and I have always been frugal thank heavens but trying to live on the old SS seems like not frugal enough. I also have stopped buying fabric and have enough to sew for some time. Thanks for sending a msg about the times.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

This is a great thread! Thanks for posting it!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM

Actually, I learned a lot from your post!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM

The best buy I ever got was a halogen oven, plugs into an ordinary socket, cooks in a fraction of the time of an ordinary oven and saves heaps on electricity.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

We raised all our insurance deductible to the highest level possible, if you house or vehicles are paid for then you can set the deductible to a very high level. You'll be surprised at the lower premium cost. The lower rates saved enough to cover the deductibles in no time and it's in the bank instead of being sent to the insurance company in a high payment. Once the deductibles have been set aside, then all we have are very low premiums to pay.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM

There are lots of recipes on the internet to make up your own cleaning products out of things that you already may have in your pantry. Clothes washing detergent, disinfectant spray, soaps, lotions, home-made febreeze. Almost anything you purchase to clean with can be made (cheaper too) and be less toxic to you and pets. Just as an example google Hydrogen Peroxide and look at all the uses you find for it.