Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 AM

Ok I'm a member of this group too. Moved all my CONTAINERS of fab into emply bedroom that I refer to as my fabric room...no room for the sewing machine. I really embarrased myself looking at all that fabric. Only goona buy batting and thread at JAs. Need to start sewing for charities again.

But what do I do? JAs sent me a birthday card...20% off my entire purchase in August!!! I think I need someone to go with me so I DONT take a cart....but what if the fabric is on sale...ohhhh that's a savings...oohhhhhh
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Put it up on the quilt board in the offers/For Sale/or give aways. Someone on the board must surely need fabrics especially those that are new or those that just can't afford to buy the QS prices. Especially those on a fixed budget.
I too have way too much and I am going to be concentrating on scrap quilting using the Bonnie Hunter Scrap Users System. Good luck with your cleaning out.
Pat
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Yes, I feel the same way. Enough is (mostly) enough. Believe I've bought a lot of my fabric just for immediate gratification or because it was on sale. If I made a king quilt top once a week for the rest of my life, I wouldn't get through all that I've hoarded. I now have so much in my stash that I actually feel overwhelmed when I'm pawing through it, determining what I might use for the latest project. Never thought I'd say it, but if feels like too much of a good thing. I probably haven't bought 5 additional yards this year.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM

singersewer, are we sisters? I feel that way too and I an NOT going to quit buying fabric....some people play golf, some take pictures and I buy fabric
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM

I am determined not to let fabric overrun my sewing space, so am cautious as to what I buy. One thing that I remind myself of all the time. Sales come around constantly - there is no pressure to buy now, even though that is what the marketing dept is trying to sell us. For the first time, I bought a fabric collection just because I loved it without having a pattern in mind. That is a slippery slope that I don't want to fall down into so I will be on the hunt for a project so that this fabric doesn't just take up residence in my house indefinitely.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

I am definitely trying to use up what I have on hand and not purchase much more. Sometimes I am successful; sometimes, not. Lately when going to quilt shows, where there are wonderful vendors, I have resisted and only bought patterns. Good thing I am from a large family and babies are always being born - been turning out quite a few baby quilts this year. Also my MIL asked me to make lap quilts for the granddaughters for Christmas. It was fun buying the fabric for that and it was on her dollar!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM

I am a collector of things. I did cut down on the Lladro and Swarovski but substituted fabric for them. I now have over 1500 yards of material and I really, really need to stop. I will die before I use it all! I have it in my will to go to a local charity-I did clear it with them before I did this.
Now to go upstairs and cut and sew!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM

We are all members of this board and share the same trait- we love fabric! I have been collecting it for fifty years and yes I have a lot but I refuse to feel guilty about it. I use it and enjoy it and turn out some pretty neat gifts. It has always been my sanity saver and was much cheaper than cigarettes, gambling or alcohol. Much of it was given to me or picked up very inexpensively at garage or rumage sales or in the $2 a yard tent at Len's. I have it corralled in large stacked Rubbermaid bins and frequently sort and rearrange it as I use it. I also share it and make numerous donation quilts. Will I ever use it all? Who knows but my daughters know what to do if I am ever not able to sew. They are to take anything they want and give the rest to my quilt guild. Our guild recently sold off Joan"s stash after she passed and raised $16000 to go to a cancer centre and to be used for some guild projects. I think that there are a lot of worse things than being a "fabric collector" (sounds better than a hoarder).
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Hoarding is so much, and there so much lovely material out there.Started quilting six months ago. I think I got a lot hoarding to do
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Confirmed fabric-aholic seeking 12 step treatment program
(or a biiig storage building...) for my quilter's disorder:
S.A.B.L.E. - "Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy"