Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM

It would be wonderful if you could donate it to a group that makes charity quilts or something. My dear friend gifted me many fabrics because she know I will make many to donate & have several friends that also do this. I will be forever grateful that I can sew & sew and the only cost is my time & thread!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
I can't believe how much fabric I have gathered over the 6 years I have been quilting. I do not want my fabric to end up in an estate sale at some point. I have decided to use what I have and I really like scrappy quilts, so that is my focus.
Having fabric in the garage and pantry is not a good thing. the garage has it in cupboards, carts and plastic drawers - way too much. The pantry has 4 bins full. Yes, I need to use it before adding to the stash. I have even decided to use piecing as a way of using it up for backing a quilt.
Wow, 6 years sounds like an infant collector! I've been collecting fabrics since the mid-1980'S. True, I have made a lot of quilts & I have given much away (& I need to give more), but isn't there a total fascination with beautiful fabrics - the print/ the "hand" (feel)/ the possibilities? Yes, we need to reign ourselves in sometimes, but, of all the vices in the world, isn't this one of the more harmless ones? It's not breaking up families (hopefully), it's not pointless - it's a creative outlet, and it's not selfish - think of all the people who benefit from the generosity of quilters! I say: " Carry on!"
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 PM

I though that a hoarder was someone who didn't want to get rid of anything. I think that a collector is a better word for most of us as MOST of us actually use and give away myriads of yards of fabric annually due to charity and family quilting.

Does a mechanic or woodworker get looked down on for having lots of tools or nuts/bolts/screws/pieces of wood, etc in his shop?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 AM

I love this thead. I too have way too much fabric but now I tell myself I am buying it for my two DD's and one DIL. They all quilt and this will be their inheritance as I went to the quilt shop yesterday to find a pc of fabric to match some placemats I am making. They did not have it so I had to buy four more yds of another fab. to add to my collection. It never stops. And thread!! I have five boxes of Janome Emb. Thread so it would be to my best benefit to emb some stuff for this coming Christmas. LOL Lets keep those quilt shops in business.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 AM

I am in love with my own addiction... I make no apologies, no more attempts to reform ( tried and was miserable).. I am what I am!
If the day comes and they find my body amoungst my hoards of fabric ... it will be with a smile on my face.

Last edited by Lori S; 07-31-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM

Okay, so you beat me to the confessional. I just admitted to my quilting sisters that I too, am a hoarder. My thoughts were always "I want to be able to start and finish that perfect project".
But always sseemed to need just another piece to make it perfect. Now I am faced with some very important projects to finish and I am out of space!!!
I vow to start cleaning out my sstash. My friends know I do not want my by beautiful collection to end up on the sidewalk with that disgusting sign "FREE".
Please keep me in your thoughts and I am starting right now.
Pegeth
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM

I think I have problems with this stuff to
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

I am new here and this thread totally fits me. I think I need Fabriholics Anonymous. I have done better. About 6 or 7 years ago, I realized that I just didn't have as much time to sew and the fabric was really building up. Since I haven't had as much time to sew, I also haven't had time to go to those great sewing groups that always meet in fabrics stores which makes it easier for me to not buy. I've been really good at shopping my stash for a new project and mostly buying just to complete a project. But sometimes I see a sale that is too good to pass up. I'm not worried about it. I enjoy it so why stress?

I had a friend who does a lot of knitting and has the same problem with yarn tell me about a new acronym. SABLE - Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy. Yup, I'm there.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM

nhweaver - you are so cute! Write the date that you said that you won't be getting any more fabric (for future reference!). If you are able to stick to that, you are a better woman than I!!! I have 57 UFO's, am working on 6 BOMs for this year, and took a couple of weeks to reorganize my stash closet. My husband says that if I live three lifetimes I will not even get CLOSE to using all my fabric (sadly, he's right! But that doesn't mean I won't try!!). I determined that I would not buy any more fabric. Well, then I went to Ohio and Michigan for vacation and HAD to buy fabric as remembrance of my trip. Then I went to Colorado, with the same thinking. In addition, the two LQS's that were close to my home closed, so yesterday a friend and I ran errands and went to a LQS about a half an hour from here...well, I HAD to buy fabric, because who knows WHEN I'd get back there again...sigh.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM

Your post made me giggle. I wish I could hoard fabric this way, but I have true hoarders in my family (that scare me to death) & limit where I can keep fabric to my limited storage in my sewing room. I force myself to finish at least one project for each Set of new fabrics I buy with "the next project" in mind. Sometime it is really hard to walk away from a new find I love. I dream of the day one of my kids move out & I have MORE storage space to dedicate to fabric LOL.