Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your best Christmas memory from childhood? >

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM

I think my father made a decent salary as I always had nice clothes and toys and always had a loving Christmas. My mother decorated even when she lived alone until she died at age 92. We lived in an apartment building in New York City and I couldn't figure out how Santa could come because we had no chimney and mom took me to the window and showed me our fire escape. She said he'd park the reindeer there and come thru their bedroom window. And he always did.

I especially remember the smell of the Christmas tree and how I loved when my father got out the Noma bubble lights.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM

I remember all the Christmas cookies and fudge my mother would make, we would go to my aunt's house for Christmas Eve and open presents with my cousins. Christmas Day we would open presents at home and then all our relatives would come over for a great feast. Us kids would run around, etc., those were the days.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Playing redlight greenlight, and mother may I with my cousins at my aunt house, and decorating the christmas treee. I always loved that. Its much more fun as a child
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I remember my mom painting a nativity scene on roll up plastic of some sort. She would tape it in our picture window (south facing) every christmas. Looked so pretty. I have it now but it is a bit worse for ware. Not sure what I will do with it.
Can you use it for pattern, paper piece, make quilted wall hanging??
Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 PM

Debbiemarie- I love Clearly Canadian! I dont drink soft drinks but those I could drink once in awhile! Too bad can't get them anymore!!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Christmas of '68. My brother was in the Air Force, got "leave" and was driving home to Minnesota from Colorado. It was Christmas Eve, raging snow storm, and we were all waiting for him to get home before we had dinner, or opened gifts. My parents lived on a hill, and finally we saw lights, but they didn't come up the hill...he was stuck...we all ran outside in the snow, and pushed him up the hill! It was a great time!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 AM

I dont have any good memories of Christmas's really. But I do remember one Christmas though. I was probably 4 or 5 years old. And I can still picture this in my head..there were 3 of us girls and my mom put 3 dinette chairs in the middle of the kitchen and we each had to sit in them. I dont remember if it was my mom or dad that handed us our one and only gift but they were ALWAYS the same thing for each of us and it was a hairbrush comb and mirror set. Mine was always pink, one sisters was always blue and the oldest sisters was white. We never got to open our gift until after my mom fixed breakfast and everyone was done eating which was around 11 in the morning and we were fully dressed. Not to forget my mom never was dressed during this whole time she had ONLY her bra and panties on the whole time.
After I had kids of my own, I tried so hard to give them a nice Christmas and I may not have been able to buy them troves of toys, but my kids KNEW without a doubt that I loved them with every beat of my heart and I did all I could to make them happy. For the past 10 years, Christmases havent been too good because of circumstances beyond my control because of my husband but now that weve split up, I hope all of the rest of my Christmases are good and that I can spend every one of them with my kids. I am this year as I moved in with 2 of them whom are roommates. We have a small little tree but thats okay. Its beautiful. There are gifts under the tree already. There is one little package sitting underneath sort of by itself the size you would get from a jewelery store that has my name on it wrapped so pretty. I wonder what it is. Maybe its the medical alert bracelet I want. Maybe its just a little box with a message in it telling me how much my girls love me. That would be okay too. Gifts are not important to me. Whats important to me is Celebrating Jesus and spending time with my kids. Now, I Wish it was Christmas Day tomorrow... I want to eat that ham in the freezer that drives me nuts every time I open the freezer. Lol Merry CHRISTmas everyone.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 AM

What fun! I loved reading about everyone's special memories. As I read so many memories came flooding back that I can't think of one particularly wonderful that stands out, there are so many good ones. From going to my grandparents house, to my mom's house to my house. The most memorable one was when my family got their first ski boat. It was in the driveway and my brother had spotted it from his room upstairs. The rest of the family was in the living room when he ran thru screaming and ran right out the door never stopping like he was on fire. We shared so many memories in that boat!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM

I would be hard pressed to narrow it down to one! I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters ( I am second from the top) and Christmas was always a really big deal to us. Everything about my childhood Christmases is a wonderful memory! I used to love getting our stockings at 5 am and finding all the treasures within...and batteries in your stocking meant something under the tree required them!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM

I absolutely love this thread! So many memories and like others, some good, some not so good. Also, like some, my parents had very little to give, but my mother would save 25 cents from the grocery money when she could and put it in a can for Christmas. The one year that really stands out for me is the year I got a "bride" doll. She was so beautiful! White lace dress, beautiful tulle veil with beads, lace, and flowers on it. She had red lip and fingernails and white high-heeled shoes. She held a bouquet of tiny white flowers in her hand. But that's not all....my mother was an expert seamstress and on her cherished Singer66 she had made the most beautiful "wardrobe" for my doll. Mother had bought a doll clothes trunk (light green) which had tiny white coat hangers upon which she hung the clothes. I remember a beige suit with a white blouse and a sassy beige matching beret, a yellow evening gown with lots of frilly ruffles, two pairs of pajamas, some casual things like jeans with tops. I thought I was in heaven!! I still have the doll and the trunk. I don't know what happened to those precious lovingly made clothes though. Oh my, wish all Christmases could be as memorable as this! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!