Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed >

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 AM

I read those and its was awful. I then read the one someone posted about her sister saying how cute a wall hanging was with her doggie laying on it. People who don't quilt don't get it unless they watch you day in and day out working. Those who are in their own world need a wally world quilt not a hand made one.

There are just as many happy stories however and people who are thrilled to receive something hand made for them. I am of the belief everyone in this swap is going to be so respectful of what they get, and treasure it for the gift that was given. DONT WORRY. Tam moo I think I make a good quilt top, its the quilting I am horrible at lol so everyone is of a different level I think and its perfectly fine. the more we make the better we get and I happen to know a local quilter here (JABA) who helps me out with quilting when necessary. ITs not against the rules to have it quilted by someone else nor is it a requirement. I stitch in the ditch ok .
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

I believe when you are gifting a quilt to a quilter they know how much time, thought and care was put into it and will cherish it for that reason and also the fact that it was made for them which doesn't happen everyday for quilters! We Know! We Value! We Love Quilts and those that make them for us
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM

We Love Quilts!!! That should be our group name. We have 25 swappers!!! Woo hoo!!!

1 oldcatlady
2 zzmom
3 Nexxus831
4 TwinRiverFarm
5 The Mama Hauser
6 emc1118
7 Short an Sweet
8 lovngrandma
9 roseirish48
10 CarolynMT
11 Elisabrat
12 Rodney
13 Applique
14 J_cody
15 mamawalsh
16 Crqltr
17 Annaquilts
18 Gannyrosie
19 ljdugas31
20 jaba
21 Boop56
22 Tam…Moo
23 QuilterMomma
24 mumukate
25 sewmany
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM

i made a quilt for our veteranarian one year for Xmas as she and her SO had become good friends over the years. When she opened the gift and saw the quilt, she remarked to her SO that "this quilt does not get used with the dogs,it is much too beautiful". A few years later I was at her house and sitting on her couch, when i realized that I was sitting on the quilt folded so that the backing was on hte outside as it lay on the sofa. I was covered with cat and dog hair from her numerous animals. I wanted to scream but remembered it has her quilt now and she could use it anyway she wanted. i silently thanked the higher powers that be that she at least only exposed the backside of the quilt to the animals.
On a happier note, that box of scraps i rec'd has been raided and one top done as a baby quilt. now to get it actually quilted.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
GannyRosie, I am sure you wont disappoint anyone. The beauty of these quilts is they are made with love. All else is secondary. I am getting excited too, very hard not to go shopping till I have a name and style.

My LQS had some of the most beautiful deep red and ivory fabric with roses on it. A whole collection! I am so very tempted but no one (including me) that I know has red in their home. I so want to work with these fabrics, they are too pretty to just leave on the shelf. Am hoping that my partner will love a deep red/ivory feminine quilt. If not, guess I will have to redecorate cause these fabrics are too pretty!
If you are my partner I would LOVE that fabric!!! Red, love it,i don't match my quilts to my décor,i have quilts everywhere all colors because I like themLOL
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM

I love making quilts I have made one for every friend, family member ect..... I have 6 grandchildren all have 3 or more.Well my son got married last year and I made a quilt for my new daughter in law to be. She picked out pattern and fabric came out beautiful. She said she loved it and didn't want to use it,kept it on couch to look at. Big fat lie!!! I saw picture on her facebook that beautiful quilt took me 4 mos to make her two dogs laying on it on the floor!!! Well I just let it go ,but I will never make her another!! On a good note all other quilts were welcome with love and are still being used and look great...
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ljdugas31 View Post
I love making quilts I have made one for every friend, family member ect..... I have 6 grandchildren all have 3 or more.Well my son got married last year and I made a quilt for my new daughter in law to be. She picked out pattern and fabric came out beautiful. She said she loved it and didn't want to use it,kept it on couch to look at. Big fat lie!!! I saw picture on her facebook that beautiful quilt took me 4 mos to make her two dogs laying on it on the floor!!! Well I just let it go ,but I will never make her another!! On a good note all other quilts were welcome with love and are still being used and look great...
In all fairness, I am more likely to let the dog/cat lay on something nice like that than my son
I am sure the dog/cat are cleaner lol they are my babies and sleep with me in my bed, snuggle with me on my couch and generally make me happy. Whereas my 22yr old son is "Mr. Personality" (said with heavy sarcasm) so if you ever see my dog/cat on something you make me...consider it a compliment, if you see the son on it call me and let me know cause I will smack him with my snow shovel!!!! LOL (jk)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
In all fairness, I am more likely to let the dog/cat lay on something nice like that than my son
I am sure the dog/cat are cleaner lol they are my babies and sleep with me in my bed, snuggle with me on my couch and generally make me happy. Whereas my 22yr old son is "Mr. Personality" (said with heavy sarcasm) so if you ever see my dog/cat on something you make me...consider it a compliment, if you see the son on it call me and let me know cause I will smack him with my snow shovel!!!! LOL (jk)
Too Funny!!! I do have a sweet 5 pound pomerian who is our baby she has her own quilt,but I know what your saying.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm I have an 8 lb baby dog, Havanese, that is super clean and if I nap she might be with me under or on the quilt either that or one of my people "babies". The dog is hypo allergenic, indoor only, combed daily and washed weekly. Come to think she is probably cleaner then the kids. She also causes less wear and tear on quilts then the kids or me. I do think there is a difference between a quilt thrown in a dog house outside and one co used with a cared for pet. Also some quilts have a more utilitarian use while others are the type that are on the bed and you don't even sit on for fear of popping stitches. I made a quilt for SIL and she shares her quilt with her cat. She is super sweet, divorced and lives by herself. I am glad she uses it and enjoys naps on the couch with her cat even though the quilt is all hairy.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 PM

I hope I'm not too late for this. I signed up because this swap seemed fun and I enjoyed all the comments. This will be my first swap here. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. If I am too late to join, I hope everyone has fun and I can't wait to see the finished quilts.