Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps >

Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps

Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Mine are donated to a Senior center in a very poor area of SC. I understand from the person that delivers them that they are all well received.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 PM

You also can Spray Paint the tins.
Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
Another way to save scraps is to recycle your Christmas popcorn tins, they are cute and you don't have them stacked up trying to find a use for them.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I save all my large Tide Pod containers. They are great for storing scraps by color.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

You need Bonnie Hunter in your life. She is the Queen of Scrap Quilting. Nothing goes to waste at my home and now all my quilting friends give me their scraps. Basically they are handing me MONEY that they would be tossing.. Yep, at the price of fabric, well, you get the idea.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM

If I may make a suggestion....I waited too long to sort my scraps. Don't wait too long before you start sorting and seriously using yours! I've been quilting for nearly 40 years now, and only in the last 1 1/2 years or so have I been sorting, pressing and cutting my scraps into precuts and storing those. I have so many layer cakes, charms, 3.5, 2.5, 2., and 1.5 inch strips that I'm considering how to store all the 'precuts' I have now. I have a multi drawer Sterilite cabinet that is chock full, plus another plastic bin (just full of charms) and I've run out of room. I need to re-think how I'm storing all of it now. I've made at least 8 quilts out of that stash so far and you'd never know I'd pulled all the fabric out of the stacks. I have at least another couple years worth of time to finish cutting up the scraps....but at least I'm using it really well now. I've got scraps from the 1950's to current...its a trip down memory lane doing it, and enjoy watching movies as I work.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM

When I finish a project then I clean up all the odds and ends. I put strips in their plastic shoe boxes by sizes, or cut them up into squares and they go in their boxes by sizes. The crumbs go into to a plastic box which I keep a roll of calculator tape in and when I want to watch something on TV, which is seldom, I sit and mindless sew the crumbs on to the calculator tape and make scrappy quilts. Everything goes together in those scrappy quilts and they are always liked. It doesn't become overwhelming to me if I do the clean up a little at a time and then they are put to good use.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 AM

I started doing almost the same time that Pilgrim does after spending a few days reorganizing all what I left aside for "later" So much fun and less time consuming now that I do it after each completed "sewing session" I don't wait until I finish a project though because I am a slow quilter and it takes me for ever to finish one quilt.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 PM

I am glad I have kept all my scraps for "someday" . We have a group at our church now and I am teaching how to make quilts. I have donated a lot of the scraps to the group "Loving Hands" and we are making baby string quilts for an organization here - "Life Choices". If anyone has quilt scraps they want to get rid of please send them our way. Two of our ladies are "hooked" now on quilting. They love it. Such fun and we can help others.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 AM

Every year I donate 2 trash bags of scraps to bonafide charity quilters. My sewing space thanks me. I am not a scrappy quilter.
Sandy
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 AM

I try and cut my scraps into shapes as I make my quilt. (does not always work when I am in a hurry) When I do I sort them into bins and label. Before I start a quilt I also donate a small bag of scraps - its helping to keep it under control. I also make a scrappy quilt after every planned quilt. I also make potholders with the left over blocks - if one or two then donate it to goodwill. I also enjoy cutting scraps into shapes when I am watching TV in the evening. For some reason I do not like cardboard boxes. I like clear plastic boxes. I am thinking of using a clear vase for my 2 inch scraps so I can put it on my shelf in my sewing room. Hmm...maybe I will do that today.