Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help comparing the Juki 600 and Janome 8900 >

Need help comparing the Juki 600 and Janome 8900

Need help comparing the Juki 600 and Janome 8900

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Default Need help comparing the Juki 600 and Janome 8900

I'm looking for a new machine and based on what I've read online (and having tried out both about a year ago) I'm trying to decide between the two. They both seem to have the features that I'm looking for. Dealer doesn't matter to me as I have to travel far for both. As this will be my last sewing machine, I'd like to make the best choice- well, I guess I'd like the best one even if it was my first machine. I can fit either into my budget.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM

It really depends on personal choice. I have an 8900 I've got listed on craigslist (and cannot get rid of fast enough), and if it doesn't sell before I go to pick up my Brother, I'll trade it in if I can get a fair price for it. But a lot of people love the 8900. I will say that the 11" throat is wonderful, and what's kept it in my house for this long (a year this month). I don't know what the throat size is on the Juki, but if it isn't at least 10" that would have a bearing on my decision.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Have you not "bonded" with the 8900 or is it just too fussy of a machine?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 AM

It's really a variety of things, the one that bothers me the most is that the Accufeed foot looks crooked when I'm using it. It has caused me more than once to not have an accurate SITD and this week I finally hit the wall. After a year of using it, I'm just not bonding with it, and the idiosyncrasies make me want to lose my mind. It's finicky about thread (I'm sorry but if you have to change the type as well as the size of needle to find one that will work to make a regular seam, that's finicky to me) - it was suggested I try various sizes and types of needles to find one that would work with Aurifil ... Ummm ... no. Sometimes it makes knocking noises.

And one that just really doesn't make sense to me - the machine comes with both a 1/4" foot AND a straight stitch needle plate, but you cannot use them together, because the 1/4" foot requires the needle to be moved to the right. What's the point of the straight stitch needle plate for quilting if you can't use it for piecing as well as FMQ?

Some folks on the Yahoo group suggested there was a problem with my dealer, but that isn't the case. I really like my dealer and they've tried to help me, but the machine is just not a good fit for me. I'm not kidding when I say that the 11" throat is the best thing about the machine ... I don't even like the stitch quality ... My 15 yr old Viking does a much more beautiful stitch!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
I'm looking for a new machine and based on what I've read online (and having tried out both about a year ago) I'm trying to decide between the two. They both seem to have the features that I'm looking for. Dealer doesn't matter to me as I have to travel far for both. As this will be my last sewing machine, I'd like to make the best choice- well, I guess I'd like the best one even if it was my first machine. I can fit either into my budget.
Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that when I spend my hard-earned $ on a so-called 'higher end' machine, I expect it to perform well and dependably. I have no tolerance for built-in obsolescence (roughly 5 years) and poor/haphazard design/manufacture of it...

That said and although I don't own either machine, I owned the Janome 7700 and sold it to purchase the Juki TL2010q. The 8900 is the higher-end 7700. While I enjoyed fmqing on the Horizon 7700 and personally didn't experience problems that others had, I did not enjoy piecing on it; starting seams could be a bear, and I didn't always want to use a 'leader'. That plus the knowledge of others experiencing theirs to be a 'delicate' machine + computerized machines' built-in obsolescence were my reasons for selling it.

It also had poor visibility with its large left side of the machine head.

What I decided to replace it w ended up making the most sense for my needs & I absolutely *love* it: the straight-stitch, long bed Juki. It is such a pleasure for both FMQing and piecing. Since owning this Juki, I've come to learn about the 600 and it sounds lovely, but I've also read about enough issues that, were I in the market for such a machine, I'd wait for Juki to work out the kinks.

Have you considered the Brother machines (like the vq3000?) which are similar in price and include a pivot function?

Please keep us posted on what you decide! Good luck!

Last edited by Colorful1; 02-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM

I've heard good things about the Brother machines but a search of dealers didn't show any in my area at all (not for 150 miles!) I do have the Juki 2010 and just love it for piecing and FMQ but want to replace my 30 year old machine for times when I want to do fancy stitches and buttonholes, etc. and would really like another machine to be set up so I could piece on one and FMQ on the other. I haven't heard that there were a lot of issues with the Juki 600, thought that it was very reliable. My older machine is a very old Janome from the time when they were still labeling them "New Home" and I'm amazed that it's still in such fine condition but it's time for me to expand with a newer machine. I keep going back and forth between these two machines and just can't decide. I'm trying to copy and paste the features of each into a Word program but it's not that easy to compare them... plus I'd like to hear what others think as I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of and I appreciate the advice. Edited to change: when I selected 150+ miles, Brother came up with no shops, when I clicked 150 miles, I did find some. Must be a glitch on their site.

Last edited by GrandmaSewNSew; 02-26-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
I've heard good things about the Brother machines but a search of dealers didn't show any in my area at all (not for 150 miles!) I do have the Juki 2010 and just love it for piecing and FMQ but want to replace my 30 year old machine for times when I want to do fancy stitches and buttonholes, etc. and would really like another machine to be set up so I could piece on one and FMQ on the other. I haven't heard that there were a lot of issues with the Juki 600, thought that it was very reliable. My older machine is a very old Janome from the time when they were still labeling them "New Home" and I'm amazed that it's still in such fine condition but it's time for me to expand with a newer machine. I keep going back and forth between these two machines and just can't decide. I'm trying to copy and paste the features of each into a Word program but it's not that easy to compare them... plus I'd like to hear what others think as I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of and I appreciate the advice. Edited to change: when I selected 150+ miles, Brother came up with no shops, when I clicked 150 miles, I did find some. Must be a glitch on their site.
The older Janome/New Home machines are wonderful! I have several vintage machines and those are what I turn to for my 'fancy' sewing tasks, lol! I'd read of some 600 issues in yahoo groups...perhaps they weren't more than isolated instances and I mistakenly thought they were, due to my Janome 7700 heightened awareness.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM

I don't know how to get more replies to my question. Am I trying to compare apples and oranges? Anyone?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Have you checked reviews at http://www.patternreview.com ? You need to register to see older reviews, but registration is free. Choose "sm/serger" and then enter the brand name. Look through the reviews to find the model number. Reviews include purchase price and personal experience of the reviewer.

Since you're so far from a dealer, why not buy online once you make a decision? I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a machine from Amazon, SewingMatchinesPlus, and a couple of other reputable online sites.

I don't think you're trying to compare apples and oranges, but I think very few people would have experience of both specific machines.

Edit: Although I would not hesitate to purchase from a reputable company online, I would ***really*** want to have personal experience sitting down with a machine before ordering it. State fairs usually have one or more dealers offering this kind of experience, and some sewing expos, quilt guild shows, etc. Have you tried out both machines yourself? It's like a car. It's not just about "features"; it's about the "feel" of the machine. Personally, I will reject a machine that is loud no matter how many features it has because I value a quiet hum.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-26-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM

If you go to sewpattern review someone just reviewed the 8900 and stated stitch quality was not the best, she wanted the f600 and let her husband get her the 8900 and she also has not bonded with it. I haven't really heard any consistent problems with the f600 most that have it or sew on it love it, but without trying either you won't really know what is the right fit for you.