Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Quilt Dilemna >

UFO Quilt Dilemna

UFO Quilt Dilemna

Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 AM

Default UFO Quilt Dilemna

As quilters most of us have many UFOs to complete. I'm in that boat too. This year I am trying to finish quilts I've started unless an emergency comes up (new baby, etc.). Well my husband is a dear and is trying to help but he keeps putting together plans for new quilts that I could make. I love this but there is not enough time in the day with work, home, and everything else to even finish UFOs. What do you do? By the way his ideas are really good and he is so supportive of my hobby. I told him I would teach him how to use the machine so he could start making his own. He is my color go to person when I am stuck. Oh well just had to see if others have this too? Have a great day.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 AM

LOL,My DH is colorblind so I don't have that problem. He's helping me take apart ties for a tie quilt & doing a great job!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

I have made up my mind that this is the year I would finished up my ufo's. to do this I made a promise I could not start a new project unless I pulled a ufo off the shelf and finished it. So far so good. So many were so close to finish then I lost interest or started something new. I have finished three tops so far.
I went to a retreat this past week-end. Most of the girls brought ufo's to work on. We are not alone,everyone has them. Good Luck with yours.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I think it's great that he supports you. I would start an index file of his ideas. Write down his idea, colours, pattern etc. and file it for future consideration. Finish one UFO and then one from your idea file, one UFO and one from the idea file etc. etc. etc.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:21 AM

I would embark on the new projects with hubby. I don't stress about UFO's for several reasons:
They kept me occupied when I needed to be occupied
Most do not have a recipient or occasion attached to them
They take up less space than quilts (when the recipient or occasion has not been determined, as noted above)
If I force myself to finish them when the creative juices are beginning to flow for something else (like your husband's cool ideas), then quilting becomes another chore.
My mission is to challenge my skills, to grow creatively, to not be afraid to cut into fabric to make a test block or two.
The UFOs do get finished, but many without time constraints or a "to-do" list.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:42 AM

I also am not that concerned about UFO's. Someday I may finish some of them. You know, out of sight, out of mind! I always think they're a good start if I need something to whip up in a hurry. I'd work with your hubby on new projects. It's wonderful to have a supportive DH! My husband is also extremely supportive, but he doesn't usually have project ideas for me. The only thing he wants is a crazy quilt someday!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 AM

I cleared out my UFO's at the Guilds free table. The ladies who picked them up were thrilled and couldn't believe someone abandoned them. (I didn't say they were mine) It was so wonderful to not have them hanging over my head. It sounds like your hubby is really creative and would enjoy joining in. My DH plans things for me to do too, but he is merely expressing interest . They are ideas, not must do's.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

So neat that your hubby is supportive, and has great ideas. You have a good thing going there~~
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I have UFO's that I know in my heart will never be done, (at least by me). Thank goodness Jim does not add to this list. He is very supportive of my favorite hobby. He will be taking my sister and me on the shop hop later this month. He has always told me I can buy any fabric I want. Makes me feel good.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM

I love making quilt tops but do not like the rest of the process. So have at least a dozen quilt tops to finish. Someday.