Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cottons vs Moda solids? >

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 AM

I tend to lean towards Moda solids. I've had problems with Kona bleeding but not with Moda. Just my take on the subject.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 AM

So I am another odd man out - I usually use Moda Bella solids, but then I am also in Moda Country!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM

Lots of good information here. Things to look for next time I shop.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I use solids a lot and have for many years. These are the differences, and the similarities, I have noticed between Kona Cotton Solids and Moda Bella Solids. These are from my experience only; others may have drawn different conclusions.
  • Both are 60 square broadcloth.
  • Moda Bella has a softer hand off the bolt, but they are very similar when prewashed/washed.
  • Moda Bella has a slight sheen to the surface that can give the finished work a softer, more refined appearance.
  • Kona Solids tighten up, and soften up, when prewashed/washed.
  • Kona Solid colors can vary, sometimes quite noticeably, between dye lots (no experience with Bella on this point).

And a note to Lucky about Kona PFD...it's chemical free. That's what makes it 'prepared for dyeing'. The absence of chemicals means it doesn't have the wrinkle inhibitors, softeners, insect repellants, formaldehyde, and other chemicals that standard quilting cottons (including Kona Solids) do. And that's why it seems more stiff and wrinkly to you. Hope that helps.
Oh I had no idea, thanks for the info! Do you think it's OK to use as just white? I've already pieced with some of it and I bought 5.5 yards! I hope it's OK to use...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I prefer Kona because it's a stiffer fabric so it's easier to work with. I use black Kona by the bolt all the time, and sometimes the white too.

People on here keep saying that Joann's Kona isn't the "real" Kona but I've had cuts from Joann's and cuts from Fabric.com at the same time and I did a careful comparison under bright lights and I can't tell the fabric apart. Same hand (feel), same thread count, same colors, same type of selvedge finish. Identical as far as I can tell. I mix them in quilts all the time and they wash/wear identically. Once I've cut the fabric off the bolt I can't tell if it's "Fabric.com" Kona or "Joann's" Kona. So I am convinced that they're the same. Joann's has it regular price 7.99; when I get a 50% off coupon (and their Kona isn't already on sale) I buy a bolt of black and/or a bolt of white, depending on how many coupons I have and which of them I'm running lowest on.

Joann's does carry "cotton broadcloth" and some other solids that are definitely NOT Kona - much thinner and coarser weave, and the colors look "muddy" to me. But the ones specifically marked Kona appear to be "the real deal", and if not then it's so close that I can't tell them apart even when I'm specifically looking for differences.
A community quilt class I am in did a comparison with Kona, Joann's and HL. Kona of course was the best. Our instructor actually called Kaufman Fabrics and they said if it says Kona and it is on the original bolt, it is theirs whether at Joann's or an LQS. I can't comment on whether anyone rewinds a bolt with other fabric.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

I like both Kona and and Moda solids. BUT, did you know that there is a cotton fabric grown and made here in the U.S. American Made Brand (AMB) established in 20013 which is a division of Clothworks. There is a collection of 50 colors (all solids). The cotton is grown here, spun here, woven here and dyed here. You can check it out at www.americanmadebrand.com Some retailers now have the fabric in stock and the prices I have seen is 6 dollars and some change. American made is important to me and many people I know. I have not tried the fabric yet, but you can bet I will!! Just something to think about.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM

I use Kona cotton because I buy the color chart. I can easily match the color I need to order on line. My LQS seldom has the exact color I need. I use lots of Kona Snow. I now buy that from Hobby Lobby as it is less expensive with the 40% off coupon. I do check the bolt at HL to be sure it is Kaufman. The Kona Snow is exactly the same as that I buy from the LQS.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Rewinding a bolt with a non-Kona solid? That's just not right....

I prefer Kona. It has a nicer feel. A long time ago in an applique class the instructor said she preferred Kona because it has an even weave. Yesterday I needed a gray and the LQS didn't have it so I got the Moda. In my opnion, it's ok and it's not ravelly or anything, but it seems thinner.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Kona is definitely my choice!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by luckydiver17 View Post
Oh I had no idea, thanks for the info! Do you think it's OK to use as just white? I've already pieced with some of it and I bought 5.5 yards! I hope it's OK to use...
It's the same as using a prewashed bleached white Kona. No problem at all.