Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is your quilting guru? >

Who is your quilting guru?

Who is your quilting guru?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:47 AM

Leah Day, Harriet Hargrave, and Marti Michell. Have learned so much from each of them.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:29 AM

I have taken a FMQ from Sarah Ann Smith which was very informative and helpful in improving my FMQ on my domestic machine.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I would love to have the opportunity to take a class with Sharon Schambers. I think she is probably the epitome of my quilting guru for just about every aspect of quilting including her amazing longarming skills. Without a doubt she is the entire package.

I have been fortunate enough to take a class with Karen McTavish and she is an awesome instructor and a wonderful person, witty, funny, encouraging. Taking a class with her is worth it just for the comedic value.
Sharon Schaumbers did a class with my Guild over a year ago...What an incredible person and wealth of knowledge!! So many great tips- she just gives to the max!!
I also went to a trunk show with Jenny Doan this week. So funny! I'm not big on precuts and simple style quilts, but was pleasantly surprised as she went over creating blocks before showing the quilts. Amazing how a simple start block can be reworked and turned into a work of art. I did get a copy of their first "magazine" which is like a book with no advertisments- great ideas and patterns.
IMHO, take a class from whomever, whenever your budget allows. You will always learn something, always. The bonding with other quilters is priceless, too!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
My quilting guru is the membership here on the quilting board! I always get good advice here with so many knowledgeable quilters.
I have to second this. The ideas and knowledge that I have gotten from this forum has far surpassed any I have gotten from a class. I also belong to a quilt guild and through sharing of ideas and demos I have also learned things. I would rather spend money on fabric than most classes and spend time quilting rather than watching videos. I start my morning out reading the daily forum here and that's about the right amount of time for me. I will follow links to quilts or techniques discussed here but don't spend much time surfing the web for things.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I have never taken a professional class. My quilting guru is Eleanor Burns and any one else who can teach me something about quilting.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
What is the current question you want answered?
Why doesn't a 2" circle fit in a 2" square? I'll lay out a pattern for quilting, measure the area, and 5 2" circles should fit a 10" piece of fabric. They never do. I'm laying out the circles in Adobe Illustrator which is accurate for measurements, checking the printer that it's printing at 100% and the circles are never even. I expect a slight difference where you can futz the start or end, but there shouldn't be a 1/4 +" overlap unless every ruler I own - including carpenter's retractable measures are off.

As to not liking videos, I can't print a page I can use for reference and add my own observations and notes.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 AM

My list includes Darra Duffy Williamson, Patricia Campbell, Mary Sorenson, Ricky Tims, and many others through the years.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 AM

I've never had the opportunity to take a professional class. I love watching Jenny Doan on You Tube.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 AM

I've never had the chance to take a class with a "professional quilter" but I do love the fabrics and bold colors of Kafee Fassett.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Alex Anderson's early quilting shows on HGTV brought quilting to the masses. She was always so "down to earth" about things, and made America realize that you didn't have to be a perfectionist to make a beautiful quilt. I was fortunate to take classes from her at Empty Spools Seminars, so as I got to know her, I liked her even more.

Pat Sloan is another person who makes beautiful quilting something that we can all achieve. I have taken a class from her, too, and found her to be just as positive and cheerful in person as her blog implies.

Jenny Doan is the current "new kid on the block" with her wonderful videos on You Tube, and her new magazine, Block, is by far my favorite. I think she will soon be quilting America's most shining star, as she continues to spread this great hobby to the masses.