Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why does Jenny do this? >

why does Jenny do this?

why does Jenny do this?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
I think if you are consistent for cutting a whole project, whether it be the marks on the mat or just your ruler you will have good results.
Good advice. Use one or the other for a project. Don't switch between the two. I learned from experience.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
...let's face it, some of Jenny's techniques stink! She irons, not presses. She uses techniques that leave bias edges. However! The things she is demonstrating are not intricate or demanding of perfection that some patterns require. She is marketing her precuts and does things that work well with those and are fast and easy. Usually seams don't have to meet exactly like some designs do. She is having fun with what she does and is trying to spread that enthusiasm. I would not recommend her methods for the beginning quilter since she does "cut corners' on techniques. A more experienced quilter knows when to do that and when to do better. (Have you noticed she doesn't have a video on how to remove stitches? Most of her designs are pretty forgiving.)
Hallelujah!! Thank you SO much for saying that 'out loud'! Her methods and style are okay if 'good enough' is your goal, but if your aim is any higher than that (and, honestly, there is a whole world of enjoyment beyond 'good enough'), you'll need to develop more accurate techniques either on your own or from other sources.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM

I have to use the lines on my mat sometimes, how else would I measure really long pieces? I am not great at cutting through many layers of fabric without shifting the fabric or ruler, I do maybe three layers at the most. I have a 24" long ruler but still find I must use the mat for long pieces and to help square things. I, too, measured mine and it is accurate.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM

My reply to this is, again, consistency. I always thought as long as you are consistent in your cutting using the same exact lines.... doesn't that make it all relative??
Am I crazy to think as long as you are consistent throughout a project everything will come out fine?? I certainly haven't had any issues doing it this way and I am really picking about precision.
And, as someone else said, I am sure Jenny is using this method as it would be the quickest way to go for a video piece.. JMHO
Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM

My Fiskar and Omni and Olfa mats are pretty accurate, but not perfect. I have measured them with my Creative Grid and Omni rulers (yes Dunster, good point about 3-d vs 2D !!!) and my carpentry rules and I have done story-boards to double check. Story boards are when you take a flat thing like paper or thin wood stock and use careful fine-line-marker to mark dimensions. It is more accurate than rulers especially for big things. Same thing as running dimensions for the ruler on a map.

I use the mat lines and marks for rough dimensioning and lining up and double-checking to make sure my fabric hasn't mysteriously slid on the mat.

Part of this is if you stick with one way of measuring everything, you will be more consistent.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm a "free quilter" and I'm so glad I have the liberty to do what feels right and works well for me! I use my mat markings most of the time and my ruler markings on occasion. I think I even cut the "wrong" way! Oh well, I love what I do and that's all that matters to me!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Why not use the markings on the cutting mats? Why would the markings be there if we can't use them? I've checked mine and the markings appear to be same as the ones on my ruler. I use both when cutting.
I use mine a lot-no issues.If the lines were not accurate I would return the mat as defective
Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM

I use my mat too. I think the old mats were not as accurate. Now they all seem to be just fine.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM

An inch is an inch and shouldn't matter what ruler you use. I use my mat as well as rulers.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 PM

I think we all know an inch is an inch. Some mats (maybe older ones) lines are not always an exact inch.