Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please need advice for Baby donations >

Please need advice for Baby donations

Please need advice for Baby donations

Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Smile Please need advice for Baby donations

Its sorta a long story so please bear with me. 5 weeks ago I had a anterior repair . I have a wonderful OB/GYN he also did my total in 2013.

I asked him if the maternity ward here could use some baby hats. I explained I use to do alot of donations to Rainbows baby and childrens Hospital but no longer can do them. Well I can BUT I just can't make the drive anymore to Cleveland.

I volunteer 3 days a week as a PCA at our local hospice and have made Quilts for vets coming into the Hospice center.

I had 50 crocheted hats of different sizes for babies and asked if they could use them. he said yes and I had told him I would bring them to my post op visit. Well Friday was that visit. This wonderful dr took me up to the maternity ward to meet the manger and give her the hats.

She was so happy to get them. When i asked if she could use anything else she said we sure can. They get alot of low income patients who don't have much at all and they can use anything . in fact when they get any kind of donations they use them to give to the new moms who they know who really need and would appreciate the items.

Or first here's were i could use some advice. Do you have any favorite websites for say baby hats, booties, blankets,quilts patterns that are free. Crochet patterns I have alot of and since friday I have made 5 sets of baby hat and matching booties. i'm a dast crocheter and have alot of yarn stash.

Thats it i want to use my stash since funds are low right now. Do you think it would be ok to use cotton fabric thats isn't baby fabric? I have some as well as some flannel but lot a whole lot. I do have a good amount of regular fabric.
Do you think it would be ok to use it? Don't plan to make fancy quilts just solid squares. How big do you think they should be? These would mostly be for full term newborns. I always made for premee's so this will be new for me. They do need a few for the tiny little ones but the full term mostly.

Please help me with advice with ideas also of other items you think new moms would like. Since I'm 64 its been awhile since i have any experience in what would be needed.
THANKS everyone!!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I think any quilt that looks nice would be acceptable.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM

The Downy Quilts for Kids site has some nice, simple patterns for free. http://www.quiltsforkids.org/patterns/

Many large pattern manufacturers will offer different free patterns each month. You just need to check back regularly.

Two items I make that are very popular with new moms are a simple hand-sewn felt rattle (I have an applique pattern that I sewed together to make a stuffed animal & I taped together 2 iced tea lids with a bit of rice inside and shoved that into the center of the fiberfill) and a changing pad. The changing pads are super popular. I took the measurements from one pattern & added a simple tie made from bias tape I saw on another site (make it roll up instead of the weird folding required with this one's velcro closure. Here is the link:
http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewt...-changing.html

Note: It says to use pre-quilted flannel, but I just made a sandwich -- cotton, cotton batting, flannel. Then I quilted it, bound it & added the tie. It's super easy to make -- can finish the whole thing in an hour or two and that's if you hand-bind it. I've also made bibs, but it seems like those are lower on the priorities list for moms who really don't have the basics. A diaper bag makes another nice gift & you could quilt it or not.

PS -- Kids will love anything that is made just for them & new moms get so overwhelmed so quickly that the colors in a gift quilt are likely to be the farthest thing from their mind. You can always add some fun textures when quilting if you're really concerned about making it more "child friendly". Heather Thomas makes a lot of baby quilts & says that circles/bubbles are very popular because the little guys love touching the puffy textures.

36x54" is what I often find as the "standard" definition of a crib quilt. Of course, none of mine have been exactly that size, but that should give you a rough estimate.

Last edited by Bree123; 07-21-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Adding Information
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Remember that babies aren't babies forever. If you make a small quilt out of fabric that isn't juvenile, eventually the child will grow into it!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM

I am a new grandmother so have done lots of searching for patterns. Pinterest has lots of patterns and ideas for free. I made a diaper changing pad with a pocket to hold diapers and wipes. It has Velcro to close. My daughter loves this as it makes it so easy to find a place to change the baby. Burp clothes made from flannel are also a big hit.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM

I think any pretty fabrics would be fine. I'm sure to them it will look wondeful.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:53 AM

Bundles of Love charity in Minnesota has many free patterns for both sewing and knotting/crocheting on their website.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 AM

As a guild, we support a outreach program called Good Beginnings. We provide them with quilts to give to their new Moms. Many of the quilts are made with leftovers from members previous projects. Some are juvenile in theme but most are not. What we hear from the organization is that the new moms who receive them - love them.

I have just finished two - one made with the "Wickedly Easy Quilt" from pastel FQs 42x50", the other a 36x45" simple Irish chain in white and lavender paisley fabric. Two more that I have quilted for guild - one a 42x42" scrappy floating star alternating with a four patch and the other a scrappy 36x36" Snails Trail.

None of these are elaborate. The fabrics range in style - oriental blenders, 30's, Civil War Repros, some juvenile - but when put tog they are cute and someone will love them.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 AM

Burp pads small quilts and diaper clutches are super popular! ! Any colors just remember no embellishments!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 AM

I think any color would be fine. If the parents have little, they are not decorating the baby room in any particular theme. Just having a special quilt for their baby is going to be special in their eyes and hearts. If you keep the width of a quilt within 40 inches, you do not have to piece backing.