Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP >

brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP

brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP

Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Try putting the thread on a vertical spool pin, or cone holder behind the machine, instead of the horizontal spool pin. Doesn't matter which way the spool is wound, it always feeds smoother when not on the horizontal spool pin. It's worth a try.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 AM

I bought a collection of 60 different Brother threads. They shred no matter what machine I use them on. They even shred with hand sewing.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 AM

I also have a Brother ( QC1000) and it suddenly started shredding thread right after a checkup. I tried everything that was mentioned in these posts, called the repairman and was completely going nuts. The machine was able to handle anything I threw at it thread-wise before. I won't detail what I went through for about 3 days before I found the problem, but it was a burr on the inside of the plastic BOBBIN....not the case, the bobbin itself. The plastic bobbins are evidently put together in two pieces and on the flat part of the plastic on the inside of the bobbin there was a burr at the seam. Impossible to see or feel unless you are looking for it. I figure the repairman used a generic plastic bobbin with their own thread to test the machine and that's where it came from. Changed the bobbin and I've been cruising along ever since. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 AM

Take some unwaxed dental floss and run it through the threading mechanism as if you were going to thread the machine--not through the needle..then pull the dental floss back and forth several times and then pull it out. A piece of thread may be caught in the machine and the dental floss can help to dislodge it. Do not use waxed floss. Also, the bobbin area may be full of lint and if the bobbin does not spin properly then it will cause problems with the upper thread. Remove the bobbin holder and clean out any lint with a brush or vacuum. Good luck!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 AM

take it back to were you bought it, the shop were I purchased mine has two women that will work on them for free before shipping them to the mechanic that charges. I have a Inovis 5000 Isadore Laura Ashley
Old 09-30-2014, 05:06 AM

It doesn't take much of a burr to cause a lot of problems. I had a small burr on the top of my bobbin and I went a bit crazy until finding it.
Also, I like the embroidery needles...they have a longer eye so that the thread doesn't wear while stitching.

I only use Polyester embroidery threads...they seem to be a bit stronger than rayon. Don't just stick to the Brother threads...they don't work well for me. But they work great for others.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 AM

I would contact Brother direct---look it up and there should be a 800 number for you to call---always rememver "the squeeky wheel gets greased"---I have found it very effective to complain firmly to the "peorple" in charge---my dealer will always take my Brother back and fix it till I am satisfied---had to really B-tch at Pfaff one time and got a brand new machine upgraded one step---keep at them---had an adjustor tell me one time there is nothing more effective than an irate houewife
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 AM

You might want to check the bobbin case for signs of "punctures" from a broken needle. This will shred thread for sure. This has happened to me more than once. If you do find a hole or groove in the bobbin case, you don't have to run to your dealer to immediately buy a new one. You can file the hole smooth with very, very fine sandpaper or emery board. You also might want to use a thread stand for your thread so it feeds from a vertical position. Also use a spool cap and check to be sure that the thread isn't getting caught in a sharp place on the edge of the spool (actually a spool cap should take care if that is the problem). Another possibility is that a small piece of thread could be caught in your tension disk. If you are brave enough to remove the top or side of your machine, you can probably see any small bits of thread and remove it with tweezers. My machine is also an embroidery machine and every time I have had a problem with shredding, it was one of these issues. If you haven't already done so, you might want to put in a new needle and a new bobbin. I hope some of these suggestions help. I know how frustrating this can be. Let us know if you find the cause and solution.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

Back in June I took MY Brother 1500D in for service because it was
breaking the thread also took in the embroidery arm also and had a
complete service done on both units.

There was a burr in the bobbin case.

I bring the machine home and 4 days later when I was ready to do
some embroidery it wouldn't stitch out properly. I checked EVERYTHING,
and changed thread, needles, fabric, stabilizer, and even hoops. Nothing
worked.

So I lugged the machine back down 3 flights of stairs and took it back
to the shop. I even took the thread, hooped fabric, the works from this
latest attempt. The sales lady who helped me tried to do everything I did.
She got the same results.

2 days later I get a call that my machine was ready. There was a note
attached that said, wrong embroidery foot attached, needs the "Q" foot
not the "U" foot.

Since I have 2 brother embroidery machines Innov-Is 1000 & 1500D
I just thought the embroidery feet was the same.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM

Try a thread stand.