Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questing about pressing a quilt >

Questing about pressing a quilt

Questing about pressing a quilt

Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Questing about pressing a quilt

I finally finished a quilt I'd been working on for some time. I washed it and love the way it puckered, I mean that in a nice way. Since I'll be giving it as a gift, would you press it before wrapping or just let it go as is ? Personally I like the look of a quilt after it's been washed but I'm afraid the person will think it's a used quilt.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM

Include a note that it is pre-washed :-)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Don't worry about trying to press it - I agree that a note saying that it has been pre washed so they can use it now with no worries of residual chemicals that come on new fabric. And that you also know that all the seams are good.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I would never press a quilt.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM

That never even occurred to me that someone would think a quilt gift was used. But now that you mention it, my quilts do look way more wrinkly than the cheap quilt my dd uses (until I have time to make her one). hmmm
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I take my quilts out of the dryer when still slightly damp. I spread them out on a clean sheet on the spare room carpet. I smooth the quilt out and use rust proof pins to anchor it to the carpet. I let the quilt dry for a couple of days and it looks just about the same as before washing.
If your batt has any polyester in it, ironing can melt the fiber so I would not iron.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM

I give them away crinkly! I tell them (or put in a note if I won't be giving it in person) that the quilt is machine-washable and has already been washed, so they should use it fearlessly & just toss it in the wash when it needs it.

People seem afraid to wash quilts until I point out it's already been done and the quilt is fine, some of them visibly relax once they realize they're being given something that's really easy to take care of.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I would add a note saying that it has never been "used" - but that it had been washed to freshen it up after all the handlng, it was washed to freshen it up.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I never wash a quilt before gifting it. I would explain the reason that you washed it in a note. I always include washing instruction because I feel you should NOT wash a quilt like you would a pair of denim blue jeans.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
Include a note that it is pre-washed :-)
I always wash my quilts before I give them. In a note I indicate what detergent I used and fabric softener. Also at what temperature I washed and dried it. I often lay out my quilt on the floor since I don't have any other flat surface. Another reason for washing is I usually throw in color catchers to be safe. I also like to know what it is going to look like after they wash it. )

Last edited by krafty14; 11-18-2014 at 07:13 PM.