Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? >

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Check with pediatricians. A guild that I attended donated quilts annually to a local pediatrician who distributed them to needy patients or kids that were really sick and in need of comfort. As he gave them out, he sent a card to the quilter to tell her that her quilt had been given to a child of __ age, etc. No name, etc. Also nursing homes have residents who rarely have visitors or would love the hug of a quilt that someone made just for them.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:10 AM

Try local women's shelters or Salvation Army shelters that house families or abuse women shelters. I make pillowcases and donate household and body care items to the abuse shelters here.

For the Quilts For Kids check their website and see if there is a local chapter in your area that you can work with. For shipping the quilts, try using the vacuum bags to reduce the bulk before shipping them. This should allow you to ship items in smaller boxes to reduce the postage.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:37 AM
dd

Sadie's Dream for a Cure is always looking for quilts and people to make tote bags. They will send you the pattern for the bags and the fabrics to make your first one. You can cut down your stash with tote bags too. Our local police departments carry quilts and stuffed animals in their cars.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 AM

One of our church ministries is to provide quilts to cancer patients at the local hospital. So far this year we have donated 137 comfort quilts and 7 knitted prayer shawls (a group of about 15 women). I make mine 40-42 wide by 62-65 long, depending on the block size and how wide my backing material is! We can always use more so if you can't find a local source, they will be greatly appreciated in North Carolina. I have developed a couple of controlled scrappy patterns that are the perfect size and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to donate. The guild buys the batting and if money is available, muslin for the back. And I beg scraps off anyone I know in order to keep the work going. The majority of my scraps are cut 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 in order to take advantage of the scrappy patterns I like the most. Here is a link to my favorite http://b-quilts.com/blog/. Go to the right side where is says "free patterns" and click on Shirley's Quilt.
Attached Thumbnails shirleys-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 AM

I highly recommend finding your local chapter of Project Linus. We make and give blankets to kids from infant to age 18. We get a lot of baby blankets and children's blankets because they are quick to make, but teenagers suffering from trauma can really benefit from a quilt of their own. I'm sure your quilts would be welcomed!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

In addition to all ideas posted the request section from the board also has requests for different causes. Your local guild might also be helpful in finding a cause that you like.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/requests-f25/
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM
tmw

yes, see if there's a Veterans center near you! I help make lap robes for them, they like them about 45 x45, and we make knitted and crochet ones too.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 AM

Hospice can always use them
Old 11-21-2014, 04:17 AM

Please consider veteran's homes. Many of those veterans have no family and need someone to dare!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:22 AM

Quilts For Kids. http://www.quiltsforkids.org/