Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Niffles???? >

Niffles????

Niffles????

Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Niffles????

Has anyone made 'niffles'? It is passed down from my husbands German family and we love them. It's a type of noodle- pasta that you use a grater like contraption, slide it back and forth over boiling water.
My question is, we would like to make them the day before and take them for Christmas. But, has anyone re-warmed something like this? I'm wondering if I should once again bring water to a boil and drop them in again (even tho they are cooked) or microwave them. Either way, I'm afraid of them becoming tough.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I would go to a food forum and ask. Taste of Home, King Arthur Flour, and Betty Crocker has big forums.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

sounds like what I would call spaetzle
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-Sp.../dp/B00004UE89
if you google 'make ahead spaetzle' there are many hits, here's a quote from one:
Drain the Spätzle again and toss with a little oil or melted butter to keep them from sticking. Spätzle will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of days and then heated to serve. Melt some butter in a pan and toss the Spätzle in it to warm through.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, never heard of it.
When I make some pasta type thing I mix the sauce with the pasta and warm it like that, as with spaghetti.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Never heard of this either.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Has anyone made 'niffles'? It is passed down from my husbands German family and we love them. It's a type of noodle- pasta that you use a grater like contraption, slide it back and forth over boiling water.
My question is, we would like to make them the day before and take them for Christmas. But, has anyone re-warmed something like this? I'm wondering if I should once again bring water to a boil and drop them in again (even tho they are cooked) or microwave them. Either way, I'm afraid of them becoming tough.
my best bud makes them, but she calls them something else. Equally a stilly sounding. I'll have to ask. Ribblies maybe?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Had some along time ago. Client of mine made some when she had dinner for us. Yep she made a noodle dough an took small portions and ran it over the great. She had salted the water and when finished and drained, she toss butter and a little more salt. She was German descent also. I remember it was so good.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I was trying to think what my client called them also and it was ribbles.
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
my best bud makes them, but she calls them something else. Equally a stilly sounding. I'll have to ask. Ribblies maybe?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 PM

When we were in Germany 30-40 years ago, this is what they called spaetzle. Very good. I bought a hand held gismo to put the dough through and into the water.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:26 PM

OMG This is exactly the devise I was talking about. I had no idea you could still buy them. And the tip on how to re-serve them - this is what I was looking for. I see you're from MI - I live in SW MI - where are you?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.