Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite batting for hand quilting >

Favorite batting for hand quilting

Favorite batting for hand quilting

Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Default Favorite batting for hand quilting

I finished my granny square quilt and am clueless as to how to FMQ it. So I decided to try to hand quilt it. This will be my first attempt at hand quilting. I already know that I will be doing the big stitch method (I think that is the right name). I will use a good grade of muslin for the backing, something in white so the thread won't be noticeable on the back and show off my many mistakes. LOL!! I know my stitches will be far from perfect but I want to give it a try.

So, on to my question. Which batting do you all prefer for handquilting? I have mainly used Warm and Natural for my quilts and have used polyester batting sometimes also. I love the warmth of W&N and also love the poof of polyester. I will most likey be using a hoop for holding the quilt. And I bought Mettler spray basting to baste it.

Any other tips or suggestions for hand quilting newbie will be so appreciated!!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

Check out Hobbs wool batting. Wool hand quilts easily and provides good definition for the stitches.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 AM

I don't know that I would spray baste for hand quilting. It may be too much resistance and gum up your needle too much. Beyond that, I hand quilt with W&N all the time. It's all I've ever used. I have an entire bolt of the stuff so it will be quite a while before I try my hand at something different. My friend uses Quilters Dream 100% cotton batting. It does have a very nice drape to it and that is what I'll be trying if I ever run out of the W&N.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 AM

I've used all different battings to hand quilt with and have never had a problem. But I would not spray baste to hand quilt like NJ Quilter said, as it would probably gum up your needle. And I would really not spray baste with a poly batt as I think the layers would shift. Good luck with your project, and I hope you post pics when finished. I have never done the big stitch, let us know how you like it ok?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:39 AM

My favorites are wool, followed by polyester, then Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton. While NJ Quilter love Warm and Natural, I find it hard to hand quilt. Other quilters love the Quilters Dream in the lowest loft they have.

Janet
Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 AM

I use to use W & N but someone told me to try Dream Cotton or Wool because it was easier to get the needle through. I have since changed to wool or dream cotton. I had a little trouble with the wool slipping on me when I basted my quilt. I have been pinning to baste lately and I mostly do not make large bed quilts anymore.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:59 AM

I have never used wool batting before. Is it way more expensive than the cotton brands? How does it wash up after you finish quilting it? Thanks for the advice about not spray basting. I will pin it instead.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Quilters Dream hands down for me. It's like stitching through butter!!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Thread basting is preferred over pinning for hand quilting, especially if using a hoop. Pins get in the way of the hooping and offer places for the thread to get hung up.

W&N has scrim. this makes it harder to push the needle through.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 AM

So far, I've only hand quilted with Quilter's Dream wool and Warm and Natural. I find the W&N difficult to hand quilt in comparison to the wool. I think the wool is a fussier batting, though, at least, the Quilter's Dream wool. It can't be exposed to heat because it's thermally bonded. I don't think you could go wrong with the Hobbs or Quilter's Dream low loft cottons. That will be my next kind of batting to try.