Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta vs Oliso >

Rowenta vs Oliso

Rowenta vs Oliso

Old 06-06-2015, 03:00 AM

I purchased a Rowenta a few months ago but it is still in the box, not because I had any issues with it but I don't want my husband using it to iron his clothes (for the price I paid). I, in turn, use his Black & Decker which is great for pressing blocks and small projects. If I ever need another iron, I will probably stick to B&D. : p
Old 06-06-2015, 03:07 AM

My first Rowenta shorted out and became a mini flame thrower for a few seconds while it scorched its cord. My husband gifted me with a new one shortly after and within two months the handle broke. Done with Rowentas!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:48 AM

I had a Rowenta Steam Generator several years ago that started leaking and spitting. When I wrote Rowenta about this problem, they replied that Rowenta irons will work fine if you use them every day, but otherwise will leak and spit. So needless to say, I am not impressed with their service. Know nothing about the Oliso, and I had a Shark that I loved, till it caught fire while I was using it. Now I buy B&Ds and throw them out if they fail. I would never buy an expensive iron (more than $30) again.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I had a Rowenta start to smoke (set off the smoke detector) -- bought a Panasonic with the titanium sole plate and like it a lot. Our shop had an Oliso and the front post quit going all the way back in and it would catch the edge of fabric when we tried to use it so I stayed away from the Oliso.
On another board someone posted about the Panasonic/titanium sole plate. They said any gunk that gets on it cleans right off. I've thought about getting one since anything I get seems to collect gunk pretty much overnight.
I've had 2 Rowenta and neither one worked well - lots of sputtering and spitting or no steam at all!
Currently I have a cheapy with a teflon sole plate. Gunk does not come but it doesn't leak!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 AM

I'm not familiar with either of these irons. I usually just go to Walmart and buy the cheapest one available. So far I haven't had ay problems.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:23 AM

Had a Rowenta.............leaked. Bought a Reliable..............it died after three years; never leaked, just quit heating..................Bought a Black and Decker for $29, so will just replace it when it dies with another BD. Tired of spending big bucks for shody products.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:25 AM

I had a Rowenta years ago and LOVED it until the thermostat went out. Bought another one and it was a whole different iron and, yes, it leaked. After reading much discussion on this board, I went to the local Freds store and just picked up a cheap one. I chose is strictly because it had the longest time before it automatically shut off. It is a Sunbeam. I paid about $25 for it and it works great. I'll never spend $80 on another iron.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:36 AM

Bought a blue Oliso on a Black Friday sale last year; it took some getting used to, since I used to leave the iron on a seam while I readied the next patch to be ironed...probably a bad habit anyway!

The Oliso heats up very quickly, even after the automatic shutoff. No leaks yet (nearly a year old.) And on sale, much less $$ than the Rowentas.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:36 AM

Had my Rowenta for years. Loved it. Always worked great. Got hot. Adjustable temps. Started getting gummy (fusible stuff .) replaced it with the Oliso (because of watching Jenny tutorials). It is great. I like it because of the lift but it is an adjustment. Takes some time to get used to. But I have not had any troubles with it. They are $$$ but I got mine marked way down at Joanns. Older model maybe? It is blue. Would love pink or yellow but money does dictate sometimes. So far it is worth it. Boy, irons are expensive!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:13 AM

I've had Rowenta, biggest problem was leakage and one that suddenly died. I keep the leaking one for use as a dry iron.
I now have an Oliso, and love it. I did have a problem and was extremely impressed with their customer service!! Excellent, best customer service I ever experienced with any company. Fast & efficient, no hassle, replaced my iron immediately. Love my Oliso, would buy again.