Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 AM

So, while I'm enjoying being your "fearless leader" and seeing all of your wonderful finishes, your fearless leader is getting her fanny whooped when it comes to quilting! Last night, I sat down at my machine in order to do a little more practicing in on a small WH so I could finally get a UFO done. WELL...to say it was an unmitigated disaster would be a colossal understatement. I had fabric bunching together, my lines were totally wonky, the stitch length varied so much because I was alternately holding it back and helping it along. Oh, my gosh. I stopped about half way through, took it off the machine, and could only laugh. My DH looked at me incredulously when I showed him and he questioned why I'd even done as much as I had before quitting. Normally, I wouldn't be amused but there was little point to trying to pretend it was the least bit acceptable. Soooo, the stitches are all plucked out, I'm going to re-sandwich it because I believe I did a poor job, likely the main problem, and I shall try again. And I WILL keep trying until I produce something reasonably good or until the piece falls apart.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:01 PM

sewing gloves really help me keep the stitch length more even when fmq'ing if that helps. And I practiced on the excess before starting each day.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 PM

I used wonder under or you can use whatever fabric adhesive and sewed the pieces down with my sewing machine. I finished the top during a guild retreat. It took me 2 years to get all the fabric together, and another 6 months to actually put together. I got the basic idea from a pattern in a magazine I had and have since lost a long time ago. I change the block patterns and enlarged the pattern.

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
How did you sew the dolls down? I have a lot of yardage from this doll fabric and I am not sure what to do with it.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 PM

I finished my UFOs quilt. It was from the Judy mystery train #7. I enlarged it to fit a king size bed. I really enjoyed working on this quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]551794[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 PM

Pops, Correction, the above pic is from judy's mystery train ride #8, not #7.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:12 AM

Beautiful quilt, Happylab! Toot, Toot! Lovely colors.

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I finished my UFOs quilt. It was from the Judy mystery train #7. I enlarged it to fit a king size bed. I really enjoyed working on this quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]551794[/ATTACH]
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 AM

Tkhooper, I used the sewing gloves, not that it mattered. The piece was so poorly sandwiched and basted there wasn't a chance of it turning out well. I've reworked the sandwiching and basting and began more slowly this time and the results are better. Not terrific, but much better. I'm content with the improvement.
Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
sewing gloves really help me keep the stitch length more even when fmq'ing if that helps. And I practiced on the excess before starting each day.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Tkhooper, I used the sewing gloves, not that it mattered. The piece was so poorly sandwiched and basted there wasn't a chance of it turning out well. I've reworked the sandwiching and basting and began more slowly this time and the results are better. Not terrific, but much better. I'm content with the improvement.
I"ve done that as well - too many times to tell the truth even though one is too many. For me nothing reminds me to take my time sandwiching than having to rip out stitches (my second most hated job next to sandwiching).
Old 06-08-2016, 06:11 AM

I take 3 days to sandwich. I put down the batting and then spray adhesive the backing on it. Smooth not tight. Wait a day and then turn it over and spray adhesive the top. I wait another day and then safety pin it every two to four inches starting at the middle. I still manage to get one or two puckers but I figure it will get better with time. Clyde said not to pull it tight and I'm taking his suggestion.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM

It is great seeing some early finishes. I am hoping to have one done by the end of the week and before I leave on vacation.

Silliness - Congrats on your two finishes. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Retiredteacher - Love the Scrappy Swoon.

Happylab - Congrats on finishing Mystery Train #8 quilt. Now I am wondering if I have that one for a UFO too. Oh no, may have another one hiding out that I forgot all about.