Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need advice on vintage quilt.... >
  • Need advice on vintage quilt....

• Need advice on vintage quilt....

Old 01-29-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Need advice on vintage quilt....

My mother cut out an entire bow tie quilt, and gave me the box with all the pieces to make for my oldest son. By the time she gave it to me, he was in a queen size bed, and the quilt was supposed to be twin. So I put off working on it. Now I'm being blessed with two grand babies this year. One boy and one girl. So I've decided to make moms quilt into baby quilts. I will get 3 baby quilts out of what she gave me. I have one problem, though. She had white backing fabric in the box for the original quilt, and neither of the girls, nor I like the idea of a white backing. I would love to keep them in the era, and find fabric for the backing and the binding that are similar. I need suggestions, since these will be keepsakes for the babies. Do any of you have resources for vintage fabrics, 60's-80's. I would love to finish them with the appropriate fabric. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 AM

I love vintage quilts to and am always trying to reproduce quilts from the 1920s era. Try going on to Ebay and look up Effie's. she has tons of old fabrics. I don't know if she will have any really, large pieces, but it wouldn't hurt to send her a message and tell her what you are looking for. I've bought a lot of fabrics from her over the years and she is always very honest and reasonable with her prices.

Also, if you are looking for 60-80s prints then try the more contemporary/modern quilting stores. They have a lot of those mid-century modern prints, because they're so "in" right now. Honey Be Good and Cloud Nine come to mind. They both have websites.

Good luck!
    ~ Cindy
    Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM

No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!
    Old 01-29-2016, 12:25 PM
    Power Poster

If you don't want white backing, why not dye the backing fabric or tea dye it?
    Old 01-29-2016, 12:38 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!
    I totally AGREE!!!
    Old 01-29-2016, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

So true, so very true.
    Old 01-29-2016, 02:57 PM

LOL, I agree! If 60s - 80's is vintage, I'm an antique!
    Old 01-29-2016, 03:45 PM

I think if you look around you'll find something suitable. I got 300 yards of fabric from my Sis that she bought in the 70's, and it's pretty much very small floral patterns. I've been told that is getting popular again.

It is funny though, because I also got some UFO quilts from my Mom that she was working on during that time frame, and they also came with white backing. I know my mom used white or muslin for the quilts she made. I don't think she ever considered using a print. Don't know if that was common, or just my Mom.
    Old 01-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tropit
    I love vintage quilts to and am always trying to reproduce quilts from the 1920s era. Try going on to Ebay and look up Effie's. she has tons of old fabrics. I don't know if she will have any really, large pieces, but it wouldn't hurt to send her a message and tell her what you are looking for. I've bought a lot of fabrics from her over the years and she is always very honest and reasonable with her prices.

Also, if you are looking for 60-80s prints then try the more contemporary/modern quilting stores. They have a lot of those mid-century modern prints, because they're so "in" right now. Honey Be Good and Cloud Nine come to mind. They both have websites.

Good luck!
    ~ Cindy
    Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will look up Effies and will also look at the quilt shop. I do appreciate having the names of lines, because I'm pretty new to the quilting world and so that does help a lot!
    Old 01-29-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I totally AGREE!!!
    Originally Posted by dunster
    So true, so very true.
    Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    LOL, I agree! If 60s - 80's is vintage, I'm an antique!
    Sorry ladies. I was born in the 60's, so I guess I'm vintage too.