Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on vintage quilt.... >

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Old 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=sewingsuz;7450770]Oh my, I was born in 41 so I am not vintage but maybe real old.

Thanks Sewingsuz, I was wondering where "not vintage" put me as I am a war baby. My doctors are much younger, I have gotten them to say "mature" not elderly. Even that does not (mature) thrill me. Some days when I look into that darn "looking glass" I wonder how I got this age.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 PM

Guess I'm vintage! Love to see them!.!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 AM

Boy, do I relate to other comments about vintage! I loved those little calicoes of the past and wish I could find them again to finish some projects handed down to me. They were so sweet and very appropriate for baby quilts. Yes, the white backing was characteristic of the quilts of that era. What about a white on white if the moms don't want just a plain white--or even an off-white on off-white? Or, keep the backing that your mother had purchased and let your quilting be the design of the backing. I love the whole cloth look and it would be consistent with what your mother began. I assume these quilts are to be keepsakes not drag-around so white will not be a problem. Perhaps these quilts will become wall hangings so they will be preserved somewhat and the back won't matter anyhow. Putting colors or prints on the backs of quilts is "new".

PS--To be consistent with the time period, I hope these will be hand quilted to make these truly keepsakes!

Last edited by illinois; 01-31-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:17 AM

I guess I am in the antique era too. 60's-80's seems like yesterday. Two of my children were born in the 60's.😏
Old 01-31-2016, 05:57 AM

I think it is fairly easy to get fabric of other eras for use in vintage quilts through the internet. I know there is a shop that deals in vintage fabric in Leadville, Colorado. There must be others in lots of places. I would also think that you could find what you need with reproduction fabric. Part of situation involves how the quilts will be used. Will they be used hard and washed alot or will they be hardly used because they are regarded as keepsakes that span the generations. Either situation is worthy of all the work you put into them. They will be loved.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM

Finish the tops, to the size you want, then take them to a fabric shop, even Jo-Ann's or Wal-Mart (if that's all you have in the area) and audition all the different fabrics to see which one you like. That's what I do with most of my quilts. Occasionally I know from the start but that's usually few and far between.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Boy, do I relate to other comments about vintage! I loved those little calicoes of the past and wish I could find them again to finish some projects handed down to me. They were so sweet and very appropriate for baby quilts. Yes, the white backing was characteristic of the quilts of that era. What about a white on white if the moms don't want just a plain white--or even an off-white on off-white? Or, keep the backing that your mother had purchased and let your quilting be the design of the backing. I love the whole cloth look and it would be consistent with what your mother began. I assume these quilts are to be keepsakes not drag-around so white will not be a problem. Perhaps these quilts will become wall hangings so they will be preserved somewhat and the back won't matter anyhow. Putting colors or prints on the backs of quilts is "new".

PS--To be consistent with the time period, I hope these will be hand quilted to make these truly keepsakes!
The Little House on the Prairie line, that came out recently, has some calico-like prints. I found a calico print for my Raggedy Ann at Hobby Lobby.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!
Very depressing indead. Do not feel that old, but graduated High School in 1964.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Maybe Kansas troubles would be something to look at? Maybe not quite the era look you are going for or too prairie looking? I happen to love the line.
Congrats on the babies!
On the 80's vintage thing-Yikes! Lol! Ten years ago the 70's Flower child was a popular costume for Halloween, kind of funny to see me as a costume!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Default '60's-80's fabrics

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!
Yes I was too. Hardly seems that long ago- time marches on ( sigh)